Stubborn Ball joint! How to remove?

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
I'm trying to change my lower ball joints and the lower ball joint won't loosen itself off the bar that holds it (under the axle, I think). Anyone have any tips for this? I already tried banging it with a hammer and no luck.

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
breaker bar, c-clamp that removes LBJs and then a BFH.....a big freaking hammer. wack away! :D

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
I did remove the nut off, I have an impact wrench for stubborn nuts. The thins is the little screw the pops out off the ball joint into the little socket that connect it to the car...that won't come out.

RonJ

Banned
Pitman tool. Many auto parts stores offer a free rental. Get the smaller one. Or you can buy it for about $15.

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
Pitman tool. Many auto parts stores offer a free rental. Get the smaller one. Or you can buy it for about $15.

Thanks. Seems like I'm screwed since all autoparts store here closed already by this hour.

RonJ

Banned
If you can protect the end of the bolt with a hex nut, many people simply whack the bolt HARD with a big ass hammer to get it loose. I prefer the more elegant use of the Pitman tool, but you may have no other choice right now.

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
If you can protect the end of the bolt with a hex nut, many people simply whack the bolt HARD with a big ass hammer to get it loose. I prefer the more elegant use of the Pitman tool, but you may have no other choice right now.
Wow, this wold've worked before I banged it, but I banged it without the hex and now it's all deformed so it wouldn't fit back in. .I'll keep this in mind for the next one I do. Thanks for the suggstion.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
dude....you had to use a pitman arm ball joint remover. the ball joint bolt is tapered

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
My Pitman worked for the left side joint, but for some reason it can't grip itself well enough to use it correctly on the right side. Any tips?