Sub Box Designs

DFlannery

5+ Year Member
Word of advice, consider placement and aiming. Generally, placing the sub(s) at the back of the trunk facing forward is the best way to avoid phase cancellation, but it all depends.

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
please explain phase cancellation...and how it all depends...

Iakona

RaleighBoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nothing like high-jacking a post. Bump for a box design, i know someone here has one.

DFlannery

5+ Year Member
A complete phase cancellation is when two sound waves meet at a point and they are 180 degrees out of phase. If they are in-phase they will add and cause a 6dB increase in amplitude. This interaction could be from two drivers reproducing the same frequencies interacting or from a reflection off a surface interacting with the driver that produced it.

It all depends becuase of the placement and environment. Some materials absorb sound, some reflect, and some are of no consequence because of their size in relationship to the frequency that it is interacting with.

Say a sub is placed in the trunk aimed at the rear of the trunk. If it is 1/4 wavelength from the surface and it reflects back to the sub it will have traveled 1/2 wavelength, which means the sound wave will be 180 degrees out of phase and will cause complete cancellation. Now, if by the time the reflected wave reaches the driver and it is no longer producing that frequency, it won't cancel.

Phase cancellation between two subs is harder to aviod than with other drivers because low frequencies are omni-directional.

This is topic can get much more in-depth, this is just a quick overview.

Iakona

RaleighBoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks phat, but not trying to use my whole trunk, i gotta throw crap in it.

Bzart

5+ Year Member
First you need to know that size of volume that your sub works best in.

Then with simple arithmatic, calculate the size and shape of the box that suits your needs.

Construct your box out of MDF, medium density fiberboard, which cost about $25 for a 4*8 sheet at Lowes

Then cut a big hole to insert your sub.

Cover with carpet, add wire connection, and install sub.

Not much to it.

DFlannery

5+ Year Member
Pretty much what Bzart said. The manufacturer usually gives tips on constructing an enclosure. You can build an enclosure having the same compliance(Vas) as the sub. Changing the compliance will just change the frequency response. A good rule of thumb for building an enclosure is to have the magnet of the sub pointing down the length of the enclouse and, just like with the compliance, changing the placement of the sub in the enclosure may only change the frequency response. Its also a good measure to put acoustic filler in the enclosure, just keep it clear of any ports you many have.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
.... i've said it a thousand times. if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it yourself. take it to a professional.

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
building a box is a good way to introduce yourself to car stereo...i say spend the couple of bucks (less that fifty bucks to build a solid box)...DIY...just PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN...draw it all out...use a circular saw...go to the12volt.com to get more ideas...use lots of caulk to seal the box...use polyfiberfill...

i would say build a 2 cubic foot sealed box...its the easiest to built...ask Dflannery he may say different...but with woofer displacement i think it would sound solid (each woofer gets .88 feet of air space)...

surely some of your buddies have built boxes before?...ask your pops for help...

send an email to the company ask them some questions about what type of box their woofers like...ported boxes arent much harder...just a step up in the design...

Dflannery seems to know alot about sound theory...ask him about where to put the box and what kind to build...i am sure he went and looked at the specs also...

if you lived in Cali i would offer some help...

DFlannery

5+ Year Member
I agree with kaace, the people at Fi Car Audio should be able to give you tips on an enclosure. Their site mentions the use of CNC machines to construct the drivers, so I assume they've put a lot into researching sound development. Let us know what advice they give you.

tjlucas

Banned
if u have the coupe or sedan, get a ported box. if u got the hatch u need a sealed box. get a good amp for ur subs, i always see ppl with sik subs and s**t amps that sound like nothin. a dual bandpass box would do damage aswell. but u dont gotta go crazy with it, u dont need no transmission speakerbox or anything to make a scene. i got a simple ported box in my civic and it makes a scene. 2x10" p3s (800RMS total), and a 800RMS @2ohms mtx amp.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you don't need a ported box to have good bass. since you mentioned specs... i have 2 15s in a 3 cu.ft. sealed enclosure, 1100w. you totally don't need a ported box, man.

tjlucas

Banned
Akiahara96 said:
you don't need a ported box to have good bass. since you mentioned specs... i have 2 15s in a 3 cu.ft. sealed enclosure, 1100w. you totally don't need a ported box, man.
sedan/coupe, get ported or its gonna sound like s**t, i do installs every week. wth ported in ur trunk it will let the bass out into ur trunk and ur whole trunk will act as a speaker box. if u put a sealed box in a trunk there is incredible sound loss because the sound is already produced with the sealed box, once u put it in ur trunk and put up the seats u dont hear it well. ported also gives u the low bass that u feel before u hear. listen to me and put a sealed box if its a coupe and ported otherwise.

my 10" p3s in ported box, imbarrase my co-workers 12" p3s in sealed box in his accord sedan

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
tjlucas said:
sedan/coupe, get ported or its gonna sound like s**t, i do installs every week. wth ported in ur trunk it will let the bass out into ur trunk and ur whole trunk will act as a speaker box. if u put a sealed box in a trunk there is incredible sound loss because the sound is already produced with the sealed box, once u put it in ur trunk and put up the seats u dont hear it well. ported also gives u the low bass that u feel before u hear. listen to me and put a sealed box if its a coupe and ported otherwise.

my 10" p3s in ported box, imbarrase my co-workers 12" p3s in sealed box in his accord sedan
i couldn't give a s**t if you do installs every week.... ((i hate that f**king defense. i do this, and you obviously don't, even though i don't know jackshit about you, didn't bother searching to see what you're setup was or if you know what you're talking about. is this where i say BOO HOO my husband is a certified installer who does it every day, isn't a f**king teenager, and i've been taught by someone qualified? /bitchy rant.)) .... saying sealed sounds like s**t is completely asinine. if that were the case, why would sound quality woofers go into SEALED enclosures? oh wait, all those engineers and the people who do this quite professionally must just be flaming retards. :evil:

and loud does not mean good. you can have both. there's nothing wrong with ported boxes, nothing at all, but sealed does the job just as well, albeit it a little different, without using up your entire f**king trunk.

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tjlucas said:

That is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

Any box will let the bass out into the trunk

by nature a ported box has less sound quality than a sealed box. a ported box only reinforces a lower frequency of bass, anything lower than that ported frequency is pretty much lost.

a sealed box leaves a smooth frequency response through the entire range of bass. to say a sealed box will sound like s**t is the lamest thing i've ever heard. every box is designed for a different purpose.. ported boxes are for higher spl, sealed for sound quality.

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where is the person that originally started this thread?