Super loud howling screeching from turning on the fan blower.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
the misses white civic ex started to make a bit of noise last summer and it was bearable by turning up the music. 6 months later that cannot be drown by turning up the music. Just wondering if I can dismantle and repair the sucker. Guess what now my civic is having a noisy fan blower too.

RonJ

Banned
By removing the passenger kick panel and 3 screws and unplugging a connector, the blower motor will drop down and out for inspection. Check for debris in the fan cup.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
By removing the passenger kick panel and 3 screws and unplugging a connector, the blower motor will drop down and out for inspection. Check for debris in the fan cup.
dropped the fan down, no debris just dusty like a sob. Dont know if the in and out movement of the shaft is the problem? Also it turns not so freely. Connected to the power and with the fan outside of the housing spins without any noise. strange?

RonJ

Banned
The plastic fan cup may be rubbing on the blower housing. Also reach your hand into the housing hole and feel around for loose debris.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
The plastic fan cup may be rubbing on the blower housing. Also reach your hand into the housing hole and feel around for loose debris.
yes i used a wet microfiber towel and cleaned the inside of the housing and talk about pitch black dust in their.
all clean, couldn't find any debris or see inside for signs of rubbing.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
You would need to replace the blower motor.
that kinda sucks, didn't want to spend the money. oh well got a new replacement blower motor and impeller and now she is quiet as a kitten. why?

old motor on right

RonJ

Banned
It's an internal problem that is not apparent from the condition of blower exterior.

Glad to know you have a quiet blower now.

Charlie5280

Not worth rebuilding them ever. Mini Coopers (1st gen) have big issues with their crazy expensive and stupid power steering pump (electric).

Cheaper to swap with a good used one then to actually rebuild it.