Suspension noise

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So over the last two weeks my car developed some sort of noise on the back passager spring. So today I went to check it out and this is what I found. Crappy pic with IPhone:

On the driver side the spring is seated all the way. So what do i need to do? Take apart and reinstall? What could have caused it to move???

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont see anything wrong with it/

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont see anything wrong with it/
The spring is not all the way to the left on the picture. Theres a little gap between the end of the spring and the mount part of the Tokico Blue.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
while the car is jacked, try to see if you can twist it back and forth, it shouldn't be that easy to move, and yeah it "CAN" be the reason for the noise it's a possibility but i doubt it. and make sure the nut on the top of the shock is tightened down too :D

and it is possible to move it back in place without taking it completely apart, just twist it REALLY HARD while it's still bolted on your frame. I've done it myself. maybe try using some work gloves, if it's too hard so you dont lose grip.

btw, you should describe the noise, and you might wanna spray or put some grease on the springs.

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
while the car is jacked, try to see if you can twist it back and forth, it shouldn't be that easy to move, and yeah it "CAN" be the reason for the noise it's a possibility but i doubt it. and make sure the nut on the top of the shock is tightened down too :D

and it is possible to move it back in place without taking it completely apart, just twist it REALLY HARD while it's still bolted on your frame. I've done it myself. maybe try using some work gloves, if it's too hard so you dont lose grip.

btw, you should describe the noise, and you might wanna spray or put some grease on the springs.
The noise is like a clunking noise. I did try to move and I think it did moved a little because after I left for work the noise wasent there anymore.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The noise is like a clunking noise. I did try to move and I think it did moved a little because after I left for work the noise wasent there anymore.
yeap, it's coil bind. but that's never really a problem on the rear on our cars, but on the fronts it definitely is, but if it went away then that's great, better not haunt you and come back :thumbup:

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeap, it's coil bind. but that's never really a problem on the rear on our cars, but on the fronts it definitely is, but if it went away then that's great, better not haunt you and come back :thumbup:
If it comes back, should I take it apart and reseat the spring? Maybe I didn't install it right the first time cuz that side gave me the most trouble.

jdmrascal

5+ Year Member
check strut installation (how you install spring on strut)
check rear upper camber control arm
check rear lower control arm bolt for tightness. (tighten to specs is the proper way to do it)
check the wheel and tire to see if they are tight and not loose.
check rear brakes
check everything for looseness

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you can move the spring with the shock and spring still together on the car,why would you take them apart? The bottom perch or top mount doesn't move. so Try that first.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The only advice I can give you is to do what Kaotic said, just up the rear and try to twist it back into seat. Re-torque everything to speculation, then once you drop the car, take another look. It should be seated all the way to the left, if it is, re-torque the bolts again. Most the time when people install new suspension parts, they only torque the parts in air. When they drop the car back onto all fours, sometimes bolts get loosen and out of torque which is why you have to re-torque them when the car is back on ground.

This is the key to a comfortable ride. I've learned this by installing many springs, coilovers, struts, etc... For people as a side job. It really makes a difference!

jdmrascal

5+ Year Member
The only advice I can give you is to do what Kaotic said, just up the rear and try to twist it back into seat. Re-torque everything to speculation, then once you drop the car, take another look. It should be seated all the way to the left, if it is, re-torque the bolts again. Most the time when people install new suspension parts, they only torque the parts in air. When they drop the car back onto all fours, sometimes bolts get loosen and out of torque which is why you have to re-torque them when the car is back on ground.

This is the key to a comfortable ride. I've learned this by installing many springs, coilovers, struts, etc... For people as a side job. It really makes a difference!
correct the spring is not seating on the strut spring mount properly. he just have to jack up the vehicle and twist the spring to sit properly on the seat. he may need a bubber spring on the bottom for cushion.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Some other sounds you might be hearing would probably come from the end of the coil rubbing on your shock. Usually they'll have that plastic/rubber cap over it so it doesnt rub off that nice paint finish on your shock. ;)

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some other sounds you might be hearing would probably come from the end of the coil rubbing on your shock. Usually they'll have that plastic/rubber cap over it so it doesnt rub off that nice paint finish on your shock. ;)
Now that u mention it the spring does have some sort of plastic cover around the spring but it in the middle of the spring and not at the end. I'll try to move it later today.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^Usually, they'll have the rubber things to protect the coils after finish. It's just there so your coils don't rub off on stuff and get ugly.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i need some for my fronts. that rubber antinoise thing that goes on the dead coils. can you even buy those seperately?

its hard to measure torque with the wheels on and on the floor, and being lowered. Unless you got one of those alignment lifts.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh yea that's right, it's hard to try to check/re-torque the bolts. I have a Snap-On digital torque wrench; I just reach under there, turn the wrench a little and when it hits torque spec, it'll beep. LOL.

Anyways, when the car is on the floor, reach under, and try to turn the bolt with the force of your wrist (all your checking for is to see if the bolt will budge anymore). It'll over torque the bolt a little but it's okay, nothing should break. This method should catch any bolts that gets loosened (did I spell that right?) in the process of dropping your car back on all fours.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I get 49% off of certain Snap-On tools from school. :thumbup: