Suspension questions.

Stealth Sleeper

5+ Year Member
Hey all. I'm a newb here and haven't been "in to" the import scene in awhile. I used to have an '89 325i and now i've got a 2003 civic ex. I'm trying to catch up on everything i've missed over the last few years. I want to drop my Civic EX but don't want to be ridiculous about it. I did a search on suspension stuff here and didn't really find much useful information. If i'm creating a thread that already exists please point me in the right direction.

Anyway, here's my problem: I want to make the car perform better on cornering and over all handling and don't necessarily care about how low it "looks" however, I DO want to drop it a tiny amount. I don't want to street race or race the car at all. its a street daily driver and i just want a little more aggressivness out of it. I was thinking about getting the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and shocks. They'll only lower the car an inch to an inch and a half. I know that Eibach is a good brand because I had them in my 325i but what I don't know is if they're good for Honda's too. They can be quite expensive and I'm wondering if there is an alternative brand that performs just as well (or better) than the Eibach springs and shocks will. Also, will I need to get a camber kit or do any adjusting on my alignment? I want to do this the right way from the beginning so that I can drop it and walk away and concentrate on the next "upgrade". Should I be thinking about bushings and things like that too? remember, i don't want a race car, just a slightly more aggressive daily driver. :D

THX in advance.

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have Eibach's Sportiline on my car. I like it. Even drop. If you buy springs get aftermaket shocks/struts too. I have Tokico HP's. You only need bushings for the LCA's

Stealth Sleeper

5+ Year Member
thanks for your help. what are LCA's??? and how do you like your shocks? are they really firm or do they feel comfortable on city streets?

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LCA= Lower Control Arm's

Stealth Sleeper

5+ Year Member
is the "firmness" due to the shocks or the springs? or both? i still want my car "streetable" and not uncomfortable.

OVNi_CIVIC

Revise
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LCA compliance bushings are notorious for tearing, check those out.
Im running Tokico D-spec "infinitely adjustable" shocks and struts, and Skunk2 race springs.
the adjustable shocks and struts are nice because you can adjust the stiffness depending on whatever driving conditions you expect to encounter. The Skunk2 race springs are nice for a low drop, but im definitely going to get some coilover sleves to further adjust to my liking the ride height..

Stealth Sleeper

5+ Year Member
thanks for the info OVNI. i'm going to look into the tokicos. do you think they'd match well with the Eiback ProKit? 1' drop. and what bushings do you suggest i get for the LCA? is the LCA just in the front or back or both? thanks again!!! much appreciated.

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the "firmness" due to the shocks or the springs? or both? i still want my car "streetable" and not uncomfortable.
thanks for the info OVNI. i'm going to look into the tokicos. do you think they'd match well with the Eiback ProKit? 1' drop. and what bushings do you suggest i get for the LCA? is the LCA just in the front or back or both? thanks again!!! much appreciated.
The firmness is due to both my springs and the shocks. Sometimes i don't like the combo and sometimes I love it..i also have a progress rear sway bar so that stiffens up the ride also...
If you want new LCA bushings you can't go wrong with Energy Suspension bushings...these are hard to replace..i too mine to get replaced at a shop because u need a press to press out the old bushing and press in the new bushings.

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The firmness is due to both my springs and the shocks. Sometimes i don't like the combo and sometimes I love it..i also have a progress rear sway bar so that stiffens up the ride also...
If you want new LCA bushings you can't go wrong with Energy Suspension bushings...these are hard to replace..i too mine to get replaced at a shop because u need a press to press out the old bushing and press in the new bushings.
you had brandon do yours didnt you?

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the prokit is not even a drop.... but it works i guess with some nice shocks, get a nice thickish rear sway bar with thick endlinks, tie bars, front strut bar(neuspeed), and call it a day :thumbup:

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Look for springs around 8k front and rear, they should give you a stiffer ride but are still comfortable for daily driving.

Swift springs sells all kinds of different rates and sizes.