suspension set-up

midnight9703

your neighborhood noob
5+ Year Member
hey guys. well the time is coming that im going to be selling my car soon, but in that im selling it to my girlfriend which she still plans on hooking things up. one thing i know she wants to do is set-up a good suspension sytem but unfortunately i dont know enough to give her any advice. she doesnt plan on doing anything to the engine bay except a cold air intake, so what im trying to find out is what kind of set-up would she run just to improve the original system? the ride right now just seems bouncy, and i know the car will need knew bushings come this inspection. any suggestions on how to improve the handling and everything without spending a fortune on coilovers etc? (unless she needs them)

dtgrowl

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is it lowered right now?

midnight9703

your neighborhood noob
5+ Year Member
nope. doesn't have any mods to the suspension at all. i just got the rotors re-finished about 6 months ago. I wanted the shop to just put new ones on but he suggested only refinishing them...or something like that. but i can tell already when i come to a stop it has the jersking feeling (which re-surfacing the rotors) was supposed to take care of.

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
cheap route would be keeping stock shocks and going with H&R OE sports...the drop isn't enough to require new shocks. These are what I have (although I'm looking to go lower), and I belive the drop is just over an inch in the front and about an inch in the back

midnight9703

your neighborhood noob
5+ Year Member
ok thanks. i was trying to read up on stuff like this, would i have to get camber kits? (not exactly sure what they're used for) but it said if u lower your car you would have to get a new alignment and camber kits to adjust everything and make sure everything it at the right spot (can't find the exact words im looking for lol)

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^ You would not need a camber kit, the drop isn't low enough. Springs ride pretty close to stock and yes you should get an alignment after you drop.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since the ride is bouncy right now, you should get new shocks and some lowering springs. Just an alignment is necessary when lowering, camber kits are needed.

leftywill3

I AM TAMARACK!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Since the ride is bouncy right now, you should get new shocks and some lowering springs. Just an alignment is necessary when lowering, camber kits are needed.
if youre dropping about an inch
closer to two and get a camber kit to avoid uneven wear on the tires

gmanauseal

5+ Year Member
GO with the Tokiico Illumina Strut and Tein Spring, depending if you want an inch or 2 inch drop.
I currently have them on my EK Hatch not bouncy and handle great at the auto-X

ak_thrylls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would get a set of full coilovers so you can adjust the height to your choice, not stuck with whatever springs leave you at. I have never liked the sleave coilovers like ground control, but Ksport offers a budget friendly full coilover and I am very happy with mine. they were only 700. also, i would recommend a camber kit. you can get an alignment, which should put your toe in spec (which does in fact cause quicker tire wear than neg camber), but anytime you lower a car you are going to get some negative camber which usually can only be fixed with a camber kit.

midnight9703

your neighborhood noob
5+ Year Member
alright thanks. would there be any point in just getting shocks and struts? she said she doesnt really want to lower the car (even though im tryig to get her to lower it a lil especially if she buy's a set of si's). but she wants the upper strut bar and a rear lower tie bar to help with some of the corner capabilities and then shocks to help with the bounciness of the ride. would this be good or do shocks go hand in hand with springs to lower it?

ak_thrylls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
new shocks will help, but it wont feel that much different. if you just want a mild drop, the tein h.tech paired with some tokico blues is a budget friendly set up with a grandma friendly drop. springs should run about 150 and the shocks 250.