swapped d16y8 out with d16y7 no fuel cant read ecu

Civiccoupe

I have a 2000 civic put a 97 1.6 in it the 97 ecu and wiring harness now the fuel pump wont turn on and i cant read the ecu any suggestions ?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1) Your title should be changed to convey what you are asking. You aren't going to get much traffic with a title like this.

2) You aren't giving us anything to go off.

What do you mean you can't read the ECU? This could be a large number of things. Is your battery good? Are any fuses blown (don't just look at them, actually check them for continuity)? The main relay could be bad. The fuel pump could be bad. Your grounds could be bad. Your battery connections could be bad. Your ECU could be bad.

Going to need some more information...

Civiccoupe

sorry im new to this ... i bought a motor,wiring harness, and ecu put it in the car and now i cant get my fuel pump to turn on i tested the fuel pump and all fuses they are good . before i replaced the motor the fuel pump would turn on and i could read the ecu with a scan tool . i changed the furl pump relay nothing happened but when i ground the pump the car starts but i get no rpm on the dash

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hmmm. Is the ecu a known good ecu? Is there one that you can borrow from a friend and see if it fires then? Sounds like you aren't getting power to the ecu or it is bad.

Is the fuel pump the only thing not coming on? You have all the lights, accessories, etc? Does the car at least crank over?

Civiccoupe

i got the ecu out of a totaled civic. i have lights accessories cranks but the pump will not turn on. i dont thing the ecu is getting power . can it be that the wiringing harness is from a 97 not a 2000 ?

Civiccoupe

hey guys

i swapped motors in my 2000 civic . car had a y8 now it has a y7 thats from a 97 . when the stock motor was in it i got fuel and was able to scan the ecu with the y7 the fuel pump wont turn on . i did some research and and found that i should use the stock wiring harness . any suggestions ?

thanks

Civiccoupe

i burnt a ring or bent a valve and i had a cel i have to go through emissions motor was cheap putting a ls in after emissions

UncleHonrod

2 time Civic owner
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ahhh. I wish i was smarter mechanically but it sounds like your cars ECU thinks the Y8 is there when its really not.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
To bad cant throw y8 head on. Sounds like time to double check plus from fuel pump. Or test your fuel pump

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So the wiring is hacked together and the ecu was out of a wrecked car. Is the ecu known to be a good working one, not working before it was totaled but checked after? I am guessing that you have some wiring issues. I would go through that and find out if everything is plugged in, no wires are frayed, and all the grounds are clean and clear.

Civiccoupe

the wiring harness is clean no hacking its all been checked . maybe you can answer this for me . on the wiring harness thats on the motor now has an extra plug that goes to the ecu two of them are the same could that be my problem ? maybe i need a 00 wiring harness with a computer ?