Sway bar questions/help...

dsf14212

5+ Year Member
I recently purchased a 26mm front sway bar for my 1999 Civic EX. I was wondering what size rear sway bar I should get so I dont have an oversteer problem. If possible I would like to have it pretty balanced. The car came with a 22mm front bar and no rear bar. I currently have Skunk2 Pros-S coilovers, rear LCA's, front, and rear UCA's. What size rear bar, based on the current setup I have, woulde everyone reccomend?

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well I'm no expert in the matter but i personaly would go with an Si or GSR sway bar. I belleive they are 13mm rear sway bars. I put an SI rear on my ex and i felt it was a great addition to my stock front sway bar. And acutally, now that i think about it, it might even be the same combo that the 99-00 si had from factory. I know that the si had a larger front and was the only one that included a rear but i'm not sure if the si front is 24mm or 26mm.
I've also heard great things about the CTR rear sway bar but you would need to re-enforce the subframe with something like the ASR brace.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Stock EX front is 22mm. The Si front is 26mm.

I would recommend a 19+mm rear sway bar. The 13/14 mm Si/GSR (respectively) do give a noticeable gain in handling but no where near what a 19+mm does. But it is also VERY HIGHLY recommended, almost necessary, to get a subframe reinforcement brace when you get a 19+mm due to the weak subframe of the Civic.

I have the USDM ITR rear sway (22mm) but have a stock front sway bar and the handling is really nice but I still understeer a lot. I CAN oversteer if I really try to but 9/10 times, understeer is my issue right now.

dsf14212

5+ Year Member
Awesome! Thanks guys! So do you think with a 26mm in the front, a 24mm in the rear will be too big? i just dont want to loose control of my car...

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, you wouldn't loose control of your car unless you pushed it too hard. Just realize that with a sway bar you're going to "lose" traction on the outside tire. With a 24mm paired with a 26mm you'll get more of a "neutral" feeling. Test it out slowly and take it from there.

From my own experience my rear has lost traction a few times, but my suspension setup is different from yours...and the road conditions and weather played a role. My sway bars are 26mm in the front and 23mm in the rear.

Oh and yes, do get something to reinforce your subframe if you haven't yet. Anything over 13mm and you'll most likely tear out your subframe.

dsf14212

5+ Year Member
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that 24mm wasn't too big. What is your setup? And what did you do to loose control?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've broken my rear end loose on dry pavement. I wasn't going "fast", but it's not like it's impossible. It's much easier when it's just wet out.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It was a while ago but I'd say probably 30 or 35. And I've done it in the parking lot at work lol.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with John, when it's wet out its more likely to break loose. Also when the road isn't banked. Like I said you're going to "loose" traction on the outside tires. But don't imagine it being anything crazy like a rwd car because it's nothing like that. As long as you drive with common sense and not dangerous you'll be fine.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just wondering, did you buy an Si front sway bar? if you did, did you purchase all other necessary parts?

dsf14212

5+ Year Member
No, I bought an Energy Suspensions bar for the front, and all the necessary hardware. I intend on getting an ASR bar and subframe brace for the rear.