switched to 17" and rubs fender?

panuwat

Lost Honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey guys.. i just traded in my 14" HX wheels for some 17" Racing Eagle rims.. my problem is that the wheel doesn't clear the fender area, the front passenger side wheel actually rubs up against the edge of the fender. the front driver side wheel seems to clear the fender just enough. the car jerks into a direction any time i go over a small bump in the road. is there something wrong with my axles or do i just need an alignment? i've never done anything to my wheels before so i'm kind of clueless at this point. I plan on getting coil-overs and new shocks later on.. would that help to solve the problem? please, any help would be nice... take care!

teatoe man

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you may have to change your tires I'm running a 205/40/17 and they just fit so a lower tire may fix that as for the tire jerking you could get an alinement but I don't think that would work because whats hapendis that your car has been lifted just a little and it has afected your S.A.I or stearing axis inclanation and that afects how you cars turns so the car is just following the groves in the road and makeing it all skechy

N1EX

Red_Robin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Coilovers arent going to help with the rubbing, only make it worse. Are you at the stock ride height?

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or just roll the fenders

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sounds like the rims you got have too much offset to me.

panuwat

Lost Honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well what would be a good solution for the wheel not clearing..? the tires im running on are low profile already.. pretty thin. the mean problem is that the wheel isnt even under the fender.. think of it like this
,____,
[ ] [ ]
driver side passenger side

the wheel actually sticks out of the car a bit.. maybe like a milimeter or two

even if i ran with coil-overs i'd probably lower it less than an inch...

panuwat

Lost Honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:-\ but what does that mean... im only 5 years old.... how can i fix it..?

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by panuwat
:-\ but what does that mean... im only 5 years old.... how can i fix it..?
sell the rims and get ones that have the right offset.

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a +41 or +42 offset is good on civics

panuwat

Lost Honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one of my buddies told me the strut is funked up... thanks for the advice guys. i'll definately take it into consideration.. in the mean time i might as well go all out on suspension and hope it clears up the problem, if not i'll listen to you guys and sell the wheels for that will actually fit..

:puppyeyes

skunk2civicex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey i was wondering how low u can go on a 98 civic with 17s and 205/40/17 replys would be great