The ever hated on d16y8

DOPE D16Y8

Hello my Midwest and Civic people:

Just about every time someone mentions producing power out of what they have (The stock D16Y8)

They are met with the same response: "Swap it." "You can't make power from a D." "Good luck."

"Your gonna spend over 5k to make that thing fast-you might as well swap in a B." "Turbo it."

"A 100 shot of NOS should do the trick." "N/A you still won't beat a B with I/H/E alone."

"For that amount you could have got a Turbo." " Get a Supercharger."

"I guess some people have to learn the hard way." On and On and On its goes..

While these answers are correct, I don't find them very encouraging.. Believe it or not many people don't
have 4k to drop in a B, and alot of us want to prove a point that the D can be an awesome contender.
There are a gazillion YOU TUBE videos of N/A D16Y8's and y7's WELL into the 13's, 12's, 10's, and 9's (Bisimoto) they aren't full on racing cars either, their daily drivers, smoking alot of American muscle, and surprising a Camaro SS or a vette or Cobra or two..

Since I am starting from a stock D16 I would like to get your opinions on my progress, as I forge on to
my goal of a mid 13 second car. Here is my list: It will be done in two semi expensive stages:

STAGE 1
My car already has I/H/E NOT EBAY STUFF
My 98 Civic EX - Is currently getting:

Supertech Valves
Valve stem seals
Supertech valve springs and retainers
Skunk 2 intake manifold
And getting a Ported and polished Head

Later: A Stage 2 cam will be added with a p28 chip
Cost: Near $1700 (The P & P will be a mild port not all the way- cost too much)
Now this is just a start, considering that i want to go N/A I should reach a 15.2 or even a 14.7
in the 1/4 on my first attempt. Stock the car is 16.8 - 17.0? HORRIBLE But will I? will I not?

What do you think?

I'm doing research NOW to find what it will take for the second N/A Stage 2.

Again, N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A --N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A Okay?

I don't mean to offend ANYBODY The K20, H22, B16A, are THE BOMB - But EVERYBODY swaps
In my humble opinion, turning on a D16Y8 That can kick 89% Of modded cars asses, is a not so
Unbelievable dream to me.. Thank you for your suggestons and Support...

:idea:

Attachments

Last edited:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Swap the D out, you're never gonna make any power...

ahah, just kiddinggggg.

I would have loved to represent for my D16z6 I had but I didn't have the money to make it anything comparable to all the b-swaps, DOHC, boosted, etc. imports.

D-series motors are GREAT motors, and very dependable. I've got a buddy with a Y8 and his cars hella quick.
It can be done with the right amount of work and it's admirable that anyone takes the time to build what they want and not take shortcuts.

So cheers to you mate. :beer:
Tuned in for pics :P

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most people base their opinion off of performance per dollar which gets you all the negative d series comments. If money is an issue, then building a motor shouldn't be an option. As long as the goals are well thought out and reasonable then go for it with any motor. It's patience that makes or breaks builds

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It sounds like your goals are reasonable. I think the reason D16s get hated on so much is because of all the idiot kids out there who wouldn't know how to swap an engine if they tried, insisting they are going to make 200 hp with bolt ons.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Most people base their opinion off of performance per dollar which gets you all the negative d series comments. If money is an issue, then building a motor shouldn't be an option. As long as the goals are well thought out and reasonable then go for it with any motor. It's patience that makes or breaks builds
i couldn't have said it better myself. i was about to post a reply when i read this and it pretty much summed up everything i was going to say. a lot is possible, it just depends how deep your pockets are. there's always the option of slightly increasing the displacement to 1.7L, which i'm sure OP is more than likely looking into.

DOPE D16Y8

Your right very true - But 13 second goals?? Low 14's? I'm hoping it shouldn't cost too much for a D to obtain that goal. Now 12's 11's and 10's? I'd have to fugget about it...

DOPE D16Y8

It sounds like your goals are reasonable. I think the reason D16s get hated on so much is because of all the idiot kids out there who wouldn't know how to swap an engine if they tried, insisting they are going to make 200 hp with bolt ons.
ROFL True as Hell LOL!! :P

DOPE D16Y8

YA KNOW? I can't remember off the top of my head, cause I'm driving my sister's 2002 civic (Mine's being worked on obviously) and it feels quicker stock than my 98 ex was stock - is it a 1.7?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yes, 7gen non-si civics are 1.7L - D17 engines.... 8th gen they moved to 1.8L R18 engines.

it seems like every generation they add 100cc of displacement lol

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello my Midwest and Civic people:

Just about every time someone mentions producing power out of what they have (The stock D16Y8)

They are met with the same response: "Swap it." "You can't make power from a D." "Good luck."

"Your gonna spend over 5k to make that thing fast-you might as well swap in a B." "Turbo it."

"A 100 shot of NOS should do the trick." "N/A you still won't beat a B with I/H/E alone."

"For that amount you could have got a Turbo." " Get a Supercharger."

"I guess some people have to learn the hard way." On and On and On its goes..

:idea:

The people that say those things are the same people who think is all about how much HP you have, lol. The same people that think a car will drive itself. I would love a built NA Single cam set up on a EF chassis. My goodness, the Power to weight ration :twisted:

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
NA will always be a costlier venture... one could piece together a turbo setup for around a grand and do 13s easily (on an EF chassis)... however, i realize OP is trying to prove that building an NA d16 is plausible in the real world so a lot of respect there.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NA will always be a costlier venture... one could piece together a turbo setup for around a grand and do 13s easily... however, i realize OP is trying to prove that building an NA d16 is plausible in the real world.
You're right Anfrey, but I prefer a NA set up over Turbo, You know what i mean?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i hear ya man. owning a turbo car myself, i still prefer an NA engine when cornering at high rpms

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I ran an edelbrock turbo kit on my y8 and it was way faster then my 11.7:1 poor mans type r I later swapped in on 12 psi the d had like 230hp and 190 ft lbs ran like a champ and surprised a lot of cars the only problem I had was I was blowing through trans like it was my day job bout one a year lol but I would build a d again if I ever get another Honda something about telling people they just got dusted by a single cam made me feel good and seeing their expression also

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I ran an edelbrock turbo kit on my y8 and it was way faster then my 11.7:1 poor mans type r I later swapped in on 12 psi the d had like 230hp and 190 ft lbs ran like a champ and surprised a lot of cars the only problem I had was I was blowing through trans like it was my day job bout one a year lol but I would build a d again if I ever get another Honda something about telling people they just got dusted by a single cam made me feel good and seeing their expression also
:werd: there's something magical about a single cam 4-banger taking on the world. i don't find much magic at all in single cam v6 engines.

emerican

Registered VIP
I have a y8 that will stay na and i just slowly put parts on it not becuase im even trying to make a certain goal, but just because im never gonna swap it its my dd when i want to swap something ill buy a hatchback shell and swap it. So since its my dd im gonna work on the y8 untill i run out of s**t to do simply because i enjoy the hobby and need things to work on lol.

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
I wish I could have built my z6. I might do a n/a z6 build in the future. + if there are any failures parts are so damn cheap for them its crazy and there everywere

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk