Thermostat? Or what?

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
Ok so recently my air in my car won't get hot sometimes. It seems pretty random, for example. I started my car today before work, ran it about 10 minutes and the air was warm when I got in it. This morning, on my way home from work, the air didn't get warm until about 30 minutes later.

Is this a bad thermostat? Or what is it?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
possibly air in the line. have you bled the cooling system?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also check to make sure the cable is going back and forth in the engine bay when you change the temp

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
bleeding the air is very very simple and requires no tools or parts.

when the engine is cool open the coolant reservoir and radiator cap. fill the radiator to the top with coolant mix (about 50/50 water to coolant ratio depending on your region. If it doesn't freeze often or at all you can use more water and less coolant up to 25/75 ratio). fill the reservoir to the top fill line and replace radiator cap. crank the motor and turn the cabin heat to full. let the motor warm up for several minutes until the fan cycles a few times (will turn on and off). keep an eye on the reservoir fluid level and continue to top it off up to the fill line. this should work out any air bubbles in the system. also keep an eye on your engine temperature gauge, as a coolant blockage could cause the engine to overheat.

Last edited:

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
bleeding the air is very very simple and requires no tools or parts.

when the engine is cool open the coolant reservoir and radiator cap. fill the radiator to the top with coolant mix (about 50/50 water to coolant ratio depending on your region. If it doesn't freeze often or at all you can use more water and less coolant up to 25/75 ratio). fill the reservoir to the top fill line and replace radiator cap. crank the motor and turn the cabin heat to full. let the motor warm up for several minutes until the fan cycles a few times (will turn on and off). keep an eye on the reservoir fluid level and continue to top it off up to the fill line. this should work out any air bubbles in the system. also keep an eye on your engine temperature gauge, as a coolant blockage could cause the engine to overheat.
Thanks I will try this. Also since it has been doing this, I have kept an eye on the temperature gauge and it has remained normal.

colecivic

sounds like a bad thermostat. why dont u try changing it urself it only cost aroudn 13.00.. another way u can check is touch the hose that connects to the thermostat . if its not h ot then its ur thermostat

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
sounds like a bad thermostat. why dont u try changing it urself it only cost aroudn 13.00.. another way u can check is touch the hose that connects to the thermostat . if its not h ot then its ur thermostat
Thanks I'll try that too

Jose1027

Registered VIP
I just changed my thermostat last week its cheap and easy,quick way to check is to touch both hoses if one is hot and the other cold then its your thermostat

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
I haven't checked into it yet, on the way to work and on the way home, it worked fine. Next time it isn't working I'll look into it. Thanks for the information guys. Can't wait to get my b series in this.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where is this cable located?
the cable is located on the firewall under the fuel filter area..its a thin metal cable..about 2-3 inches should be showing..when you change the temperature the lever pulls the cable out or in. sometimes it can be stuck open or closed resulting in heating problems. Most likely this isn't the problem but its a probability