Thermostat Replacement

jackdog1

I recently replaced the radiator and main coolant hoses and replaced the coolant in my 97 Civic EX, and I saw something saying that it's best to change the thermostat as well.

My current one works fine, but should I still consider replacing it anyways?

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your current thermostat is working fine then its ok to keep it, but then you risk of it breaking down on you in mid drive. That potentially leads to towing fees to get it home safely provided you dont overheat your engine through any number of scenarios. All that risk is not worth the $15-$20 that a thermostat may cost.

jackdog1

Its your current thermostat is working fine then its ok to keep it, but then you risk of it breaking down on you in mid drive. That potentially leads to towing fees to get it home safely provided you dont overheat your engine through any number of scenarios. All that risk is not worth the $15-$20 that a thermostat may cost.
That's what I was concerned about, I'll go ahead and replace it then. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Well if its working i would keep using it or replace with an oem one. Its almost as common for new cheap aftermarket thermostats to not work properly right out of the package as an old one failing. I went through 3 stant's in a row once before finding one that wasnt gonna wreck my engine even though it still didnt work quite right i didnt want to risk trying a 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You can easily test your thermostat. Get your pan and suspend the thermostat over the middle at mid height of the pan. Fill with water above the height of the pan. Get a thermometer or something to measure the water temperature. Heat up the water until it reaches opening temperature which is typically stamped on the thermostat. It may take about 10 degrees above the opening temperature for it to fully open.

As long as it opens in that range, you're good to go. Id slap it right back in and let it eat.