Thrown Rod-What Causes it ??

pburchins

5+ Year Member
Hello,

We swapped a D15B7 engine in December in my son's 95 Civic LX. Overall, the swap went well. This was the first time we did something like this so it was certainly a challenge but we did it.

We purchase a used JDM engine that came from Japan. The engine used to have a Carb on it and they took it off and put a plate over the extra hole in the engine. The engine looked very clean and the oil was just a clear as honey that came out of it. All the cylinders had good compression, etc. The engine was just as quiet as a sewing machine. My son has driven the civic for about 5 months and put about 3,000 miles on the new (used) engine. No knocks, No smoke......just purring like a kitten.

He goes to college 3 hours from home and came back late Saturday night. Thankfully, I took my cell phone to bed because he called me saying there was a hole in the engine at the # 4 cylinder. At least he wasn't in an accident. He was about 3 miles from the house and we towed him home.

The company we purchased the engine from is going to give us another engine and cover it under Warranty. At first they argued a little bit and then the owner came out and looked at it. I think they thought my son was racing the engine or souped it up or something. It is just a boring Civic LX.

To make a long story short...........What cause a rod to be thrown ?? It was in the # 4 cylinder and the hole was near the Ex. Manifold near the transmission. There was oil in it and the timing belt was fine.

Any suggestions ? I am just curious.......

Thanks

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. manufacturer defect. imperfection in the metal, or what not.

2. previous owner of the motor beat the hell out of it, or didn't take care of it.

3. your son is responsible for the motor failing. beating on it, or not taking care of it.

pburchins

5+ Year Member
1. manufacturer defect. imperfection in the metal, or what not.

2. previous owner of the motor beat the hell out of it, or didn't take care of it.

3. your son is responsible for the motor failing. beating on it, or not taking care of it.
Besides changing the oil out on a regular basis what else could my son have done ?? This engine is not enough to race or goof around. Granted, he could have changed it and souped it up but the engine was just swapped out and it has no turbo or such. It reminds me of my MG engine and I was in no danger of racing with that engine especially with the pollution controls on it.

Is there an oil pump that could have failed ? I was curious since it was the cylinder furthest from the belts and such.

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ha...it doesnt HAVE to be a race engine...I got pulled over doin 105 in my old 1.6 carolla wilth like 70 horses. and I blew 3 headgaskets and an engine in my old cressida(granted it had a supra engine) but the point is...you don't have to have a race car to dog it...more than likely the little puny lx engine is way easier to blow BECAUSE it isn't a race engine. More than likely it was driven too hard...just my thoughts...make sure your son knows its no race car...and doesnt race it...