Thumping

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
Hey guys so I have a problem.
When I'm driving I hear a thumping noise that I cannot seem to figure out.
Axles have been replaced.
Rotors and brakes have been replaced.
Brand new tires installed.
It gets louder according to speed. But isn't related to the rpm of the vehicle.
Also when I apply the brakes it makes a louder noise kind of like when a spindle is slowing down. Doesn't effect steering. No vibrations in the steering wheel.
Doesn't veer in any direction.
Nothing. I'm at a loss

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could be your wheel bearings maybe? were those tires balanced also when you bought them? if they were not, try rotating the front tires to the back and see if there is still vibration..

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
W
could be your wheel bearings maybe? were those tires balanced also when you bought them? if they were not, try rotating the front tires to the back and see if there is still vibration..
heel bearings replaced 6 months ago.
Tired were mounted and balanced at a shop. I'll try the rotation. But the noise was present before and after I got new tires.

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
I'm going to say screw it and take Ito a shop. I lifted it up and my rim moves side to side. It even moves side to side when the car is on the floor. Think it's the steering rack.... And since I'm in Florida. I'm not going to mess with all that in an apartment complex parking lot. Not with the unpredictable weather around here. Any clue on how much that may run?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, if you can shake wheel back and forth easily is probably the tie rods. Not really difficult to do the outer tie rods, but if you need to replace the inner tie rods, you'll likely need to use an inner tie rod tool. And replacing the bellows on the end of the steering rack can be frustrating. And, of course you'll need to get an alignment. For parts (inner/outer tie rods, steering rack bellows) should be less than $200. Alignment about $70-$80. Not sure the labor costs if you have someone do it, but expect about $80/hr