Tips for the gun range?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm going to the new gun range in town Wednesday morning and they have a WIDE variety of rifles and handguns available for rent and I thought I'd ask some of you more seasoned shooters what a good gun to rent would be. I've shot a few guns and own a 410 shotgun, a .22 revolver (pea shooter, I know). But I'm far from experienced. I'm trying to choose something with relatively cheaper ammo, not a horrible kick (I'm a small guy), but a fun, well rounded weapon. I'm leaning towards a beretta 9mm or a similar glock.

Any opinions or tips?

They literally have everything from 1911's to ar-15's for rent. :lol:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AR15 is where its at... it is the most versatile gun there is IMO... I have built quite a few recently... LOVE them...

virtually no kick.. very accurate..

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just rent anything that catches your fancy. figure out for yourself what you like. I'm partial to 1911s and AKs

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
listen, 410 and 22 are basically powerful BB guns. no shame, they are super cheap to shoot and fun as hell.

Rent a range of firearms from .380 all the way to 7.62

My suggestions:
.380 ruger revolver
glock 19 (9mm)
m&p .40
1911 .45 ACP
remington 870 with a mix of low and high brass in whatever load you'd like
ar15 (its a .223 high velocity, low kick)
anything of a Kalashnikov style chambered in 7.62... MUCH more pop

and if you're feeling more adventurous

pick up a Remington 700 in .308 or .300 ultramag.
anything in 50BMG I would stay away from.

IMHO if you test the range listed you'll find something you like, or at least a caliber you'll enjoy shooting.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I appreciate the tips guys. But since making this thread I've fallen in love with firearms. Lol I OWN an m&p shield 9mm

As well as a remington 700 in .223 with a hogue stock and leupold
scope.

And a remington 870 20 gauge pump

And a .22 ruger American rimfire rifle

Anddd an old Luger .22 (top right)

And I even shot a glock 19 that day. :lol:

I've acquired quite a few guns in a short period of time, and I even have a Springfield xds on layaway. I'm currently researching and I plan on building an AR soon.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I've been doing my fair share of shooting.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Protip: unless they are legal in your area, don't roll up to the range with your buddy and his brother, sporting his brother's police issue MP5, and spray a full mag at a target. The owners don't like that.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Protip: unless they are legal in your area, don't roll up to the range with your buddy and his brother, sporting his brother's police issue MP5, and spray a full mag at a target. The owners don't like that.

Lol they have a fully automatic ar 15 at my local indoor range, so I rented it for 5 bucks and loaded up a full clip. They have signs posted all over the range saying absolutely no rapid fire. I let the whole mag go at once :lol: they just said don't do it again. I can't afford to!

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol they have a fully automatic ar 15 at my local indoor range, so I rented it for 5 bucks and loaded up a full clip. They have signs posted all over the range saying absolutely no rapid fire. I let the whole mag go at once :lol: they just said don't do it again. I can't afford to!
Fully auto, even semi auto, are illegal as all hell (for the most part.. there are loopholes) in CA. We rolled in with the MP5, lit up the target, and they about had a heart attack. When my buddy showed them he's SWAT, they were like "We don't f**king care! Dude you're crazy!" lol. That gun is amazing, btw.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well CA is one of those Draconian states like NY...

you can own any class3 firearm or attachment ( suppressors etc..) with the right paperwork. you just have to pay high tax stamps and long waiting periods...

ex. 9mm suppressor in NJ, $200 tax stamp, price of the suppressor and a 28 day waiting period. but legal .

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well CA is one of those Draconian states like NY...

you can own any class3 firearm or attachment ( suppressors etc..) with the right paperwork. you just have to pay high tax stamps and long waiting periods...

ex. 9mm suppressor in NJ, $200 tax stamp, price of the suppressor and a 28 day waiting period. but legal .
Accurate info, except the suppressor in NJ bit.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Accurate info, except the suppressor in NJ bit.
never purchased one in NJ... took a stab... might be accurate for the surrounding states.

Always see 1911 praise lol. I love them for target shooting, but not for a combat pistol, personal pref I guess. The tolerances are almost too tight for a firearm that has a potential to take a beating and keep on working.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
never purchased one in NJ... took a stab... might be accurate for the surrounding states.

Always see 1911 praise lol. I love them for target shooting, but not for a combat pistol, personal pref I guess. The tolerances are almost too tight for a firearm that has a potential to take a beating and keep on working.
There is absolutely no NFA items in NJ. No SBR's, no suppressors, no FA. There is also no carry in NJ unless you're off duty law enforcement, or if you're immediate family to a judge that supports 2A. NJ is one of the top 3 worst states for gun laws.

I love my 1911, and it's my HD backup. I have a hard time finding pistols that I find very comfortable and natural. The S&W M&P series is one, but they're pretty common. Then there's the Ruger SR series, I have a full size SR9 with an OD frame, love that gun...but it's a cheaper gun. I've beat that gun up, put about 1000 hard rounds through it, did have ONE issue. I think it was a stovepipe that I cleared right away. It was with cheap ammo too. Then there's my 1911, S&W 1911 TFP. Fits my hand like a glove. I'll admit that in a "combat" situation like you're mentioning, 8 rounds is pretty limiting. However I'll never find myself in that situation. It's a HD backup, and if I need to use my backup then I'm already in trouble. I think the next pistol I'll buy will be an FN in the .45 variety. Right now I'm looking at rifles though, probably gonna put down the money for something like a Sig 716 when I get out of NY in June.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There is absolutely no NFA items in NJ. No SBR's, no suppressors, no FA. There is also no carry in NJ unless you're off duty law enforcement, or if you're immediate family to a judge that supports 2A. NJ is one of the top 3 worst states for gun laws.

I love my 1911, and it's my HD backup. I have a hard time finding pistols that I find very comfortable and natural. The S&W M&P series is one, but they're pretty common. Then there's the Ruger SR series, I have a full size SR9 with an OD frame, love that gun...but it's a cheaper gun. I've beat that gun up, put about 1000 hard rounds through it, did have ONE issue. I think it was a stovepipe that I cleared right away. It was with cheap ammo too. Then there's my 1911, S&W 1911 TFP. Fits my hand like a glove. I'll admit that in a "combat" situation like you're mentioning, 8 rounds is pretty limiting. However I'll never find myself in that situation. It's a HD backup, and if I need to use my backup then I'm already in trouble. I think the next pistol I'll buy will be an FN in the .45 variety. Right now I'm looking at rifles though, probably gonna put down the money for something like a Sig 716 when I get out of NY in June.
I know this might be really high in your price range, but the best rifle I've fired in a long time in that family was an FN SCAR in 7.62x51. the recoil management and ergo of the rifle were perfect IMO.

I've never had the chance to put many rounds through a S&W 1911, just a Kimber.. 8 round cap is what I'm not a fan of really. but I may not be giving it justice/ trigger time.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I know this might be really high in your price range, but the best rifle I've fired in a long time in that family was an FN SCAR in 7.62x51. the recoil management and ergo of the rifle were perfect IMO.

I've never had the chance to put many rounds through a S&W 1911, just a Kimber.. 8 round cap is what I'm not a fan of really. but I may not be giving it justice/ trigger time.
I've also had the great opportunity to shoot a SCAR-17. It was AMAZING. I absolutely loved both the recoil management and ergonomics as you mentioned. I was also incredibly impressed that it was so light. I have considered purchasing that as well, however it's about $1,000 more than the Sig 716. What it's really going to come down to is what my funds look like when the time comes. I can afford it, it's just a big purchase. I'm also going to figure it out once I get to my permanent duty station...I really don't feel like getting it in NY and having to neuter it due to strict laws.

Although I love my 1911, I'll also admit that the 8 round limit is very outdated. It's a wonderful gun to own, and shoot though. Even a crappy 1911 trigger is still nicer than most other pistols. It's aesthetically pleasing, has a great balance, great ergonomics, and is a great overall design...but the round capacity is obviously lacking.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^They make great guns. I hope to have one in .45 one day.