Total nubcake

Corbenick

So.. as the title states I'm a complete noob. Not only to Honda's but pretty much cars in general. If I'd grown up with my dad that would have been a different story but my mom stole me and moved to the godforsaken wasteland of Ohio. I've been wanting to get a civic for a few years now and been trying to pick up information on cars as much as possible. Its moving very slowly.
I've been looking for 6th Gen em1?/ej8? Civics. I made this thread to ask one question. What is a reasonable price for a 6th Gen? I don't want to get ripped off first of all and i want to know what makes it worth the price. Since i don't know hardly anything about cars what is a 96-99 stock civic worth. I know the less miles it has the more valuable it probably is. If anyone on here could shed some knowledge to a noob it would be appreciated. Thanks

B16Ferio

5+ Year Member
So.. as the title states I'm a complete noob. Not only to Honda's but pretty much cars in general. If I'd grown up with my dad that would have been a different story but my mom stole me and moved to the godforsaken wasteland of Ohio. I've been wanting to get a civic for a few years now and been trying to pick up information on cars as much as possible. Its moving very slowly.
I've been looking for 6th Gen em1?/ej8? Civics. I made this thread to ask one question. What is a reasonable price for a 6th Gen? I don't want to get ripped off first of all and i want to know what makes it worth the price. Since i don't know hardly anything about cars what is a 96-99 stock civic worth. I know the less miles it has the more valuable it probably is. If anyone on here could shed some knowledge to a noob it would be appreciated. Thanks
Personally i bought my 98 Civic LX, with 55,000 on it in mint condition, for $5k. So you can probably pick up one similar for a similar price.

Jose1027

Registered VIP
Depends on milage,how good the car runs,over all condition of car,i bought my 97 civic ex with 97k original miles for $1,800,of course it has the usual honda cancer,of course i bought it as a project,idk what your looking for,now SI's go for about 5k nd up depending on the car

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reasonable price is relative to region/model/mileage/mods/condition. You should browse craigslist, autotrader, and other car sales sites to get an idea of typical prices in your region. When you find one that looks good with reasonable mileage go check it out. Crank it up, test drive it. If it drives well then make an offer for ~20% less than what they are asking. You may end up saving a few hundred bucks off asking price.

If you are willing to take a road trip you might can save a bunch of money by finding a car in a nearby state where the regional prices are lower.

Corbenick

Thanks guys i really want an em1 but i seem to be a couple grand short. Unfortunately i need a car asap. I've been browsing craigslist nonstop for a couple weeks now and can't seem to find a clean car that fits my wants and needa for the amount i can spend. It'd be best to start with a stock car or near stock car no? So i can learn as i go?

Jose1027

Registered VIP
Thanks guys i really want an em1 but i seem to be a couple grand short. Unfortunately i need a car asap. I've been browsing craigslist nonstop for a couple weeks now and can't seem to find a clean car that fits my wants and needa for the amount i can spend. It'd be best to start with a stock car or near stock car no? So i can learn as i go?
Stock car,but finding a stock civic is hard,many have been tempered with,your best bet is finding one that belongs to some one older those are usually clean,dont buy something that has been messed with unless they show that it was done by a pro

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Around me, I see stock em1's every once and a while on CL. They usually go for about $5-6k for one with ~140k-150k, decent interior and exterior. I bought my 2000 em1 with 143k for 4900, and then the piston rings went out about a year ago. The whole car was stock except for the muffler delete (haha).

If you can find a stock civic that would be best, and if it has high mileage try to do some checks on it first to determine the health of the engine. If you are unsure of what tests to do then take it to a mechanic before you buy it, its really worth it IMO. Especially checking spark plugs, doing a compression test, etc. Even let us know if you find a possibility, but we can only do so much online.

emerican

Registered VIP
6th gen is 96-2000 just didnt know if you new that since in the op you said 96-99
Stock is best if you can find it, but its hard.
I bought my 98 ex completly stock with some damage on both quaters above the tires everything else perfect and 140,000 miles i think maybe a little more for 2300 cash.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got my 98 in very very clean condition, basically stock except for the exhaust and minor suspension work with 80k miles from a dealer for 5 grand. and I mean this thing was clean, the previous owner had traded it in for a dodge magnum

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
i bought my civic for $300 yup thats right 300. all it needed was a new oilpan and only had 140.000 miles, completely stock from a 50 year old guy and when i took my tranny apart it had a exedy clutch in it i was like WTF no way.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Iwant to know what makes it worth the price.
the fact that its a honda plain and simple but also the amount of miles it has how clean it is... that basicly sums it up. they just have an amazing resale value

dcboardr41

bought my 99 ex bone stock with 100k on it for 3k, mileage and exterior/interior/motor will adjust the price

cuetip

Registered VIP
ive bought my 99 ej for 3k, and there is nothing at all wrong with it, and it had 250k on the odometer