tranny swap help asap!

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
guys i need help. really bad ok heres the story.

i have a98 ek hatch w/ a y8 engine. i just did a tranny swap from a dx tranny to an ex on. also replaced the clutch with an exedy oem one and replaced clutch master cylinder as well. mounted everything back u, bled clutch like 7 times. when the car is off everything shifts like butter. when i turn car on and let go of clutch in neutral theres this terrible grinding noise. i initially thought it was the passenger axle because it wouldnt lock up w/ the tranny but i fixed that. what the hell is gringing like crazy? please help

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where did you get this trans? and how did you know it was OK?

does the car move?

and does the clutch move freely?

and when the car is running... and you step on clutch... can you put it in gear? and does the noise stop when the clutch is in?

once you let off the clutch in gear.. what happens? does it still happen in forward gears? how bout reverse?

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where did you get this trans? and how did you know it was OK?

does the car move?

and does the clutch move freely?

and when the car is running... and you step on clutch... can you put it in gear? and does the noise stop when the clutch is in?

once you let off the clutch in gear.. what happens? does it still happen in forward gears? how bout reverse?

got the trans from steve @ HMO came w/ no grind guarantee. I doubt the tranny itself is bad.. clutch moves into each gear like buttah when car is off AND when car is on. the noise stops when the clutch is in. ive been looking around for an answer. possibly could it be the slave cylinder? another thing to note is that when the clutch got put on i didnt have a torque wrench handy to torque it to 19lbs. I dunno if this is the issue.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also I already replaced the clutch master cylinder with a exedy oem replacement one as well...

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ thanks for the answer. Are all clutch kit bearings interchangeable? let me rephrase. since I used an OEM replacement clutch kit should it be a problem if the original oem bearing was used?

lite

My son's ek did the exact same thing. Sold the car and never investigated this "grinding in neutral" noise. Curious to know what it is as well.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well im off to drop the tranny again. wish me luck! : ( please work this time...pretty please please? ):puppyeyes:

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im leaning towards a bad ISB.... or... you put the clutch plate on backwards.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
issue resolved!!!! pressure plate was no wear NEAR tight enough. jesus. 2 days because i didnt use a torque wrench from the get go. i will say this tho, i guess ive never driven a car with a good enuff clutch. its soooooo smooth. i said to my buddy "whys it feel so loose wtf???" :lol: well lesson learned. thanks everyone for the answers! now to break in the clutch. enjoy the rest of your easter! i need a drink lolz :beer: