Tranny swaps?

jdmciv

Ride with no name
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey this will be my 3rd civic if i decide to buy this one but it is a 98' EX Auto...But in nice cond. that is why im looking at it. Anyways how hard would it be to put a manual in?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
3rd civic...and you are only 17? wtf happened to the other two!?

jdmciv

Ride with no name
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the first was kind of my moms but i drove it alot-no mods the one i have now just isnt cuttin it i want a sixth gen...

EKD16

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by jdmciv
Hey this will be my 3rd civic if i decide to buy this one but it is a 98' EX Auto...But in nice cond. that is why im looking at it. Anyways how hard would it be to put a manual in?
It's not a procedure for the inexperienced. I have only assisted with transmission swaps, and kinda just sat there looking confused, and I consider myself automotively affluent.

However, it's not going to be cheap either, a friend of mine did the swap about 3 years ago, but he somehow got insurance to cover it so I don't know the cost. Contact automotive shops in your area, or do a search on h-t, I'm sure they have something there.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any ideas on how to make your insurance company pay for an auto to manual swap?

EKD16

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by M706
any ideas on how to make your insurance company pay for an auto to manual swap?
Well I will not promote or suggest insurance fraud, but his tranny went out.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
niether am i, just wondering what would make someones insurance company pay for it to be replaced.

HS-POKEY

My suitcase was vibrating
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tranny swap is not that difficult...but if you change the sohc tranny over you need to change the intake manifld over...i mean you dont have to but you will get check engine light because of difference in the wiring.....but other then that its not that hard at all just make sure you have everything before starting.

EKD16

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by M706
niether am i, just wondering what would make someones insurance company pay for it to be replaced.
His transmission went out in his car, as well as a few other things, as a result of a theft recovery, and they were subsequently replaced. His automatic was replaced with a manual.

GOOSE

JDM yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by HS-POKEY
tranny swap is not that difficult...but if you change the sohc tranny over you need to change the intake manifld over...i mean you dont have to but you will get check engine light because of difference in the wiring.....but other then that its not that hard at all just make sure you have everything before starting.
this has nothing to do with the topic... but ur sig with the lil guy is freaking BAD DUDE!!!!!! love it! :D

HS-POKEY

My suitcase was vibrating
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks man ...found that on another site...but i liked it so much i stole it..lol