Transmission failure

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I was casually driving my girlfriend to work today, when in 4th gear, I start hearing a grinding noise, to describe it. It sounded as if I was dragging my mid-pipe/exhaust down the street, I pull over to look under the car and there's nothing. So as I was freaking out I try to get it into gear to start driving home, I hear the grind and the car stalls. I turn it back on and now it won't get into any gear or move. Has anyone heard of or had a problem like this? I am just not very good with anything involving transmission issues or clutch issues if it is so. So any help or input would really help.

95CivicLx117

it sounds like your clutch took a poop on you but im not totally sure. good luck though

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well with the motor off I'm shifting through but there's gears it will get into then it feels like it gets stuck on that gear for a while.

RonJ

Banned
Well with the motor off I'm shifting through but there's gears it will get into then it feels like it gets stuck on that gear for a while.
If shifting is a problem with the engine OFF, then you have a transmission problem. If shifting is only a problem with the engine running, then you have a clutch problem or clutch hydraulic system problem.

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda and continental transmission, said I definitely need to replace the transmission. Now on to find a transmission to use, I'm starting to wish I had a normal EX/LX/DX/HX right now lol.

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm just basically looking for a diagnosis then trying to find a Tranny right now.

RonJ

Banned
I'm just basically looking for a diagnosis...
If you want help with a diagnosis, then you need to provide more information, including replying to the comment below.

If shifting is a problem with the engine OFF, then you have a transmission problem. If shifting is only a problem with the engine running, then you have a clutch problem or clutch hydraulic system problem.

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
i feel ur pain... my tranny is going through the same thing =\ but over here in socal there is a spot to get si trannys for $275.. newyork im not sure how u fellas do out there but good luck with it

hybenz

I was driving and shifting gears normally. Suddenly i stop at the red light then i can no longer shift into first gear. actually i can not shift to any gear with out turning the engine off and pressing the clutch pedal down then shift it to first gear then turn the engine on. My car moves while my feet is still on the clutch pedal. I dont know what to do, when i posted it on Transmission & Drivetrain repair questions,someone answered that i need to change it already,another answer was to change my slave and master cylinder. I do not know what to do. Could this be a clutch out?

RonJ

Banned
I was driving and shifting gears normally. Suddenly i stop at the red light then i can no longer shift into first gear. actually i can not shift to any gear with out turning the engine off and pressing the clutch pedal down then shift it to first gear then turn the engine on. My car moves while my feet is still on the clutch pedal. I dont know what to do, when i posted it on Transmission & Drivetrain repair questions,someone answered that i need to change it already,another answer was to change my slave and master cylinder. I do not know what to do. Could this be a clutch out?
The problem is almost surely a clutch hydraulic system problem rather than a clutch problem. Is the fluid level in the clutch fluid reservoir low? Do you see any fluid leaks from the slave cylinder or from the master cylinder, especially at the top of the clutch pedal?

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With the car off it feels like I can get into the Even gears and reverse. However with the car on, it stalls regardless what I do when I let off the clutch. The guy at Continental Trans said the transmission is basically gone, it'll be cheaper to replace than it would be to actually repair. So as of right now I'm looking for buyers of the rolling shell + motor. What sucks is I just recently replaced the Master/Slave cylinder and did water pump and all belts lol. Does anyone think 2500 is asking too much for the car as is with 156k, I personally only put on 7k in 2years. Body is in good condition minus a crack at bottom of rear bumper. There's no rust that I have ever seen.

RonJ

Banned
With the car off it feels like I can get into the Even gears and reverse.
So when you try to shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th with the engine off, you are unable to do so?

However with the car on, it stalls regardless what I do when I let off the clutch.
Does it stall even if with the front end raised on stands?

The guy at Continental Trans said the transmission is basically gone, it'll be cheaper to replace than it would be to actually repair.
Yeah, just replace the transmission. It won't be too expensive if you do the swap yourself.

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My issue is not actually doing the work, it's actually finding a transmission nearby. I've contemplated on getting a motor/tranny for like 1200 since I personally can't find a transmission that fits my car nearby, without a dealership.

And yes it stalls on jackstands, and 1st/3rd/5th won't get into gear even with car off. Barely gets into 2nd/4th from time to time. I'd actually be happy if I can get the car into neutral so I can freely tow the car around without a tow truck. That part is really hindering my abilities to bring the car anywhere out of continental.

RonJ

Banned
Have you checked the shift linkage?

When you press the clutch pedal down, does the slave cylinder move the clutch fork?