Transmission Shop

Kendogg531

5+ Year Member
I'm leaving in the end of the month for a week to go to Chicago, In that time I'll be gettin my trans rebuilt because its f**kED! no reverse, no 5th, 4th stays in gear, 1st 2nd and 3rd pop out ounce my foots off the gas.. pretty much the unit is shotttttttt.... so my question is...any1 know of any good shops on Long Island???? I HATE letting other people work on my car but this is a little much for me 2 handle....

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont know about any shops but all of your problems are easy ones, nothing really internal. Pop outs are caused by worn detents, and no fifth or reverse means the third shift fork is broken or misaligned. Anyway dont let them charge you out the ass. Good luck

Kendogg531

5+ Year Member
Good looks on telling me that bro, you seem to know alot of s**t so let me tell you this story and lets see what you have 2 say because transmissions are not my thing...

So about 8 or 9 months ago i started gettin some nasty noise comig from the transmission, It shifted fine and was working LEGIT for like 4 months that way. I thought maybe it was the throwout bearing makin those noise because my dad said it sounded like that... so i was gettin really sick of the noise so i brought my ar to a shop and told them 2 check it out and that im pretty sure it could be the throwout so might as well do a clutch job since my car had just hit about 140,000 miles and i figured it was gettin close to that time.... SO, the guy does the clutch and calls me an tells me that my cars ready 2 go... I get there and he goes well, the good news is that the clutch is done and you can take the car , the bad news is that the noise is still there and he also said that i had almost no fluid in my transmission when he cracked it open, he also told me that the seal was broken and that the noise was coming from the diferentail <--cant spell for s**t! So i drive my car home and the mother f**ker is making the noise but 100 times louder, next day im driving and all of a sudden it starts poping and grinding in 5th gear, then it just gets worse from that point... reverse stoped goin into gear, i cant even put it into the reverse gear it just wont leave the center if you know what im saying....i feel like this guy f**ked me because i never had an issues with my gears doing this prior to the clutch job, and this all started hapeening the DAY after i got it done. i went to the shop and the guy said i would need a new transmission and that there was nothing else he could do for me.. i almost f**kin kicked his teeth in

so whats ur take on it now? Did i get jerked???? because i feeel like i did

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well as far as the noise goes, it is hard to day something "sounds " like a throwout bearing. Its more about when the tranny is making the sound. But as far as this mechanic goes, all the problems you are having are associated with improper assembly. If he opened the case to inspect it, i can guarantee he didnt reinstall the shift mechanisms correctly....shift forks, detents, linkages etc

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It COULD be what projekt is telling you....or it COULD be a number of other things. Shop around and look at prices for different shops. Also ask if they guarantee their work for any length of time after the job.

Kendogg531

5+ Year Member
yeah, i have off from work tomarrow so looks like ill be finding a place to get the work done, thanks alot guys!

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm going to move this to the north east regionals section. You'll be more likely to get a response there.