Tune b18c1 for 87 octane?

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
So its getting hard to find 93 octane recently around my area with all this "shortage" bullshit going on.

Was just curious if there would be any benefit to trying to tune for 87 octane, or if it can even safely be done.

I mean I have to assume there was a pretty good reason these engines were designed for premium fuels, but like i said before, can it be changed to 87 and show any benefit, without sacrificing reliability?

Just looking for some input on the matter. Thanks.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i only run 87 on all my cars anyway, most new cars say run premium, but your really dont have to, its just to get best fuel millage.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you can go awhile without it knocking, but that's never a good idea.

yourslow

Save The SOHC
5+ Year Member
yea and the gsr has the knock sensor so the means your check engine light comes on

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
you can go awhile without it knocking, but that's never a good idea.
yep

you cant re-tune for lower octane... but you could trade your c1 for my ls motor ;)

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
Thanks guys.

So you say If I cant get a hold of any 93 I could run a few gallons of 87 through her and be okay though?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ill be running 87 is my c1 when i swap it

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you can try mixing in 89 if you can find some of that with the 87 I knew a guy who did it in his bmw Z3. He would run half a tank with 87 and the other 89 when he started to get the knocking, Never used premium on it. not sure why he was insistant on doing that all the time, not like he didn't have money for it or something like that. He taught auto T before too.

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Higher compression (such as a B-series VTEC) or boosted motors require the higher octane to resist detonation. I wouldn't do it myself, but if you feel comfortable with it then go for it. I'd definitely be sure to pay attention to any irregularities in the way your engine runs or fuel economy.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Higher compression (such as a B-series VTEC) or boosted motors require the higher octane to resist detonation. I wouldn't do it myself, but if you feel comfortable with it then go for it. I'd definitely be sure to pay attention to any irregularities in the way your engine runs or fuel economy.
GSR dosent have high compression, its actually crappy compared to other B series Vtec's.

i didnt know your GSR was turbo:???:

rey_boricua

2000 EM1 B16A2T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
he has a b16a2 unless he went GSR without me knowing

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been having a hard time finding 93 lately. I'm going to pick up a bottle of octane booster from advanced tomorrow just in case.