Turbo advice

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I am ready to finally do this. I am getting a new house in a few months and shortly after, since I will finaly have a garage, I am going turbo. I was thinking of piecing a kit together myself, but I am getting more confused the more I search. I want to get quality parts but money is an issue. I'd say I wan't to stay around two grand...that's pushing it. Yes, I am a tight wad. I am concerned about longevity of the motor and I am not wanting to push large psi. I would like to get around 200hp....nothing fancy, just fun. I already have a turbo, interooler, and bov in my basement from a 89 probe gt turbo that had 86,000 miles on it. I was thinking of using this stuff but the whole fuel/engine management thing has me confused. So, I was thinking of just going with a kit. I don't like the ones where they inject fuel into the intake pipe. I want a good kit but I hear bad s**t about every kit out there so begines the confusion......help!

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since you already got the turbo, bov and intercooler, just keep piecing together...no since in starting over and buying a kit now.....although i doubt the turbo from that probe is very powerfull and i dont know if you will get the 200hp you seek, somebody correct me here.....just try and buy the best parts you can for the money, look HARD for the best deals.....anyway good luck.

as far as good kits:
Full Race
Rev Hard
Edelbrock
Drag is alright, its what im getting and just changing a few of the lesser parts around like wastegate and BOV, cheap too

but you get could get cooler stuff for less cash if you go custom

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The turbo from the probe is a IHI turbo...don't know if that means anything. The cool thing is that it is both oil and coolant cooled. If I do use this turbo, what do I do about fuel/engine management?

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bump.....

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its an IHI RBH5 from a probe, i dont know about 200, but it will be a fun car to drive. Since ists a 99 Ex you have OBD2 Thats going mt make engine managment a little more expensive. You could go with a Greddy EManage. Its a piggy back, and personally I dont like them. If had to get one thats the one I would get. one thing about the Greddy is it is not cheap, and then you need someone to set it up for you. Another solution is the AEM EMS, its a standalone ECU to replace the factory one.....alot more expensive and just as many features.

SiLvErCiV

I smell.....boost....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would message Blowncivic1320, i think he used the Neptune piggyback fuel management on his sohc turbo setup and loved it

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HUH never herad of Neptune....I am going to go look that up....thanks

SiLvErCiV

I smell.....boost....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im pretty sure its new...i dont know much about it, ask blown...:thumbs up

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
uberdata is a cheap alternative to hondata. thats what ill be using on my boost project

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shiznit028 said:
uberdata is a cheap alternative to hondata. thats what ill be using on my boost project
he is running OBD2

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah but the ones i sugested dont need it....he is working on a budget. I looked at the Neptune, it looked nice too, but again its only OBD1. I am not saying he cant get the harnes, I am just saying why not work with what you have

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
because you can tune it better if you go obd1. obd2 is pretty difficult to deal with

haphazard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you already have the intercooler and BOV, i would look into a greddy kit. its in your price range, not that bad to install and gives you some more power. NOT 200 like you wanted but it is a good kit. you can pick up a new kit (for the 92-95 civics, it will work for your 99) for around 1,300.00 :???:

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HMMM......sounds like for a kit the greddy is the way to go. It's what I have always considered for a kit. The management system is what has always confused me. How do you find someone to tune it for you.....do you need a dyno or what?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've never done it, but from what i understand you need a fuel managment system or piggyback like hondata or uberdata, and you take it to a dyno where they can examine the curve and then they tune the fuel delivery to try and give the most amount of power and smoothness. i don't know if they always do that or if its extra $$, because, like i said, ive never done it. do they always have tuning opportunitites at dynos? i would imagine its extra money though

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would figure that you can tune the car when at a dyno.....not sure. Just was wondering if that is the only way to tune the car when you do management. Is the car safe to drive untill you get the car professionally tuned??

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K....Since I am going to go with the IHI turbo I already have money is not as much of a problem. What is the easiest management system to use? I live in Iowa so getting the car tuned for the turbo is gonna be a pain in the ass. I need the easiest way to do this but be reliable. I know the OBD2 is gonna cause problems but would it be easier to change over to OBD1 and get Hondata.....or is there a way that I can tune this myself with the proper setup? I am looking for the easiest way to do this but I need reliability.

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can tune it yourself if you get the datalogger option. but you have to know how to tune... id say just do the vafc hack and use some dsm 450cc injectors.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I can tune a normal car. I am also a certifeid automotive electronics installer so wireing is not a problem for me. I am assuming the VAFC just hacks into the ecu, is it a piggy back style system? I have seen the VAFC...does the screen allow you to tune and adjust everything from the unit or do you do all the tuneing in the engine bay?