turbo kit for d16y8?

janvdh3

i imagine ebay turbo kits for my d16y8 are a bad idea? i have heard some bad about the mannys crack n and such? i have all stock internals with 113 k. just lookn for something to hold me over so i can save for a b series by next winter, wat am i going to be able to run safely with out blowing anything up, shouold i crank my head bolt another bound or 2 ? or arp head studs? wat kind of gasket i sohuld buy 2? thanks

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i imagine ebay turbo kits for my d16y8 are a bad idea? i have heard some bad about the mannys crack n and such? i have all stock internals with 113 k. just lookn for something to hold me over so i can save for a b series by next winter, wat am i going to be able to run safely with out blowing anything up, shouold i crank my head bolt another bound or 2 ? or arp head studs? wat kind of gasket i sohuld buy 2? thanks
Usually people make up to 200whp on stock singlecams with ARP headstuds and a good headgasket. Buy the OEM 3 layer metal headgasket from your local Honda dealership, dont buy one at a regular parts store.

janvdh3

Usually people make up to 200whp on stock singlecams with ARP headstuds and a good headgasket. Buy the OEM 3 layer metal headgasket from your local Honda dealership, dont buy one at a regular parts store.
ok thank you im not lookn to go much faster haha just tryn to have a lil fun :suprise: till ia can drop a b16 or a ls V

emerican

Registered VIP
Glad to hear you know not to go with the ebay kit man.

janvdh3

y like i said im just tryn to have a little fun in the mean time haha. i need somethin a lil faster than stock 127 hp :]

emerican

Registered VIP
haha i dont blame you, but my friend actually against my advice put a flea bay kit on his y8 not that long ago a few months. In that time the turbo has had to been rebuilt the down pipe has cracked and maniolfd cracked and had to be replaced and the intercooler was so cheaply made even behind the bumper and mess gurad a rock small enough to get through the mess shreded that s**t up and it had to be replaed to. With twhat he has now in a ebay turbo kit that runs like s**t and isnt even fast he could have did it right and have money left over.

janvdh3

daym that sucks man im sry to hear that :[ i would be pissssed haha i still need to get my bumper on but the bumper support i bought dosnt line up at all so i think im going to bolt the bumper on by the 4 bolts and make to other braces. i dnt think i have any other choice :[

emerican

Registered VIP
I would be pissed to, but everytime he complains about it i tell him i told you not to buy it and just do it right the first time. why dosent the bumper support line up?

janvdh3

honestly i have no idea lol so im fed up with messn around and ima try to weld my own stuff in. would anyone know ere to get the clips/housings for the light bulbs for the headlights, all i have is the headlights nothing to put the light buld into uk wat im sayn?

EkcivicJDMstyle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive ran an ebay kit for a while now. as long as you brace the manifold they will last a while, my downpipe was actually incredibly durable. i went with a tial waistgate instead of the ebay one and my intercooler as been fine. i think with ebay kits its a hit or miss on a good one. ive heard horror stories and ive seen them last for thousands of miles.

bizak

I built my own " ebay " turbo kit. Actually I bought everything from ebay but I bought a mitsubishi turbocharger, I had a stock Supra intercooler, used blitz bov, bought some cheap intercooler pipes but I spend good money on the couplers to hold them together for no leaks. You can find a good used brand name turbo manifolds on ebay also, so by piecing a turbo kit together it would be cheaper and more reliable then a ebay kit. BUT you need to make sure that your engine can handle the setup and MAKE SURE YOU TUNE YOUR CAR, MAKE SURE YOU TUNE YOUR CAR, MAKE SURE YOU TUNE YOUR CAR. I had to repeat that 3 times because if you don't tune it you engine will pretty much get destroyed internally. My tune up cost me more then the kit, so plan on saving money if you want a turbo kit. But if i could it again i rather go with a H22 vtec swap.

SilverVic

So just getting arp head studs and oem gasket you add 74hp?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Ebay brand should be the more appropriate saying because you can still buy name brand on ebay. I don't suggest you install any turbo kit on your car unless you plan on taking it to tuner shortly after.

techavluis

Registered VIP
if i knew i was going to go to b series or anything else... i wouldnt buy anything for the d series. but if u had to money to have a little fun now... i would 100% buy an ebay kit. maybe some one will eat me up for it. but if you read want he said... in this case... why paid 2,000 or more for a few months (or in this case till next winter) when you can have a great time with 500?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
if i knew i was going to go to b series or anything else... i wouldnt buy anything for the d series. but if u had to money to have a little fun now... i would 100% buy an ebay kit. maybe some one will eat me up for it. but if you read want he said... in this case... why paid 2,000 or more for a few months (or in this case till next winter) when you can have a great time with 500?
500 is cost of a tune. Once you go boost things start getting expensive. Your statement is somewhat reasonable till the 500 part.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol...im going to find the oldest deadest thread here and revive it....lol