turbo the D

honda98civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im in the same boat ur in. its almost summer and im gonna be boosting my y7. im not building up my block(money is an issue and just want something to do this summer) im just throwing the turbo on and then doing a good tune then roll out. this dude i met theother day did what im bout to do and his y7 pulls hard. lo lim just gonna run bout 7 psiit seems like alot of people are choosing to turbo their D instead of swaping because if they blow the motor you can pick up a new one for cheap.

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i am tellin ya for the every once and while 10 psi you dont need rod and pistons and bearing.....i run 8 daily and 10 when i race....stock motor with 90k on it and it runs strong as hell there is a guy i know running 14 psi on stock block in his crx and it runs awsome....no need to build it...save that money

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im a noob with a question on this... i just bought a 99ex and a guy at work is a turbo guy. hes saying to keep it at 6-7 psi and ill be fine.. the car has been dealer serviced regularly and has all oil changes, it has 144k. this is why im reading up on this issue. its in great shape in and out and drives perfect. i was looking for a little more power. I have the headers/catback/intake ordered waiting for delivery... do i just keep it the way it is, or go for boost with that many miles? i know i just read saying if it blows, pick up another cheap d16 for a few bills. but, how do you know that engine has low miles other than the schlep saying"its a good little motor" thx for any info guys. im still searching threads on the variables on the d16, thx

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yea.... the rising sun valve cover is bad ass! once i get the function finished, then ill worry about the vanity

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would say stay n/a. i have beat boosted ls vtecs but my y8 is built. not stock. as well as my tranny. i like the feeling of n/a, the sound, etc and plus you have the power the whole time.....turbo, you have to do it right, not half ass, or try to run 15lbs on a stock engine and blow your s**t. there is also boost lag, torque lag, etc. dont get me wrong, i love turbos, and i have another boosted y8, but i prefer building a y8 n/a over boosted. its up to you though....
-oh yeah, i found there are to many problems with boosted engines that are not meant to be boosted. if you do boost, spend some good amount of money doing right.

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would say stay n/a. i have beat boosted ls vtecs but my y8 is built. not stock. as well as my tranny. i like the feeling of n/a, the sound, etc and plus you have the power the whole time.....turbo, you have to do it right, not half ass, or try to run 15lbs on a stock engine and blow your s**t. there is also boost lag, torque lag, etc. dont get me wrong, i love turbos, and i have another boosted y8, but i prefer building a y8 n/a over boosted. its up to you though....
-oh yeah, i found there are to many problems with boosted engines that are not meant to be boosted. if you do boost, spend some good amount of money doing right.
what do you have done to a d series n/a wise that would beat a boosted ls/v :bs:

thisisoriginal

pete's cheese nugget
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did he even shift out of first?

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you do get eagle rods, you need to notch the block and girdle.
Read man, read, those forementioned websites are a wealth of information on boosting the D16.
Dont rush anything or you'll be sorry.
Also the stock motor can hold up to about 240 whp. PSI will depend on the turbo. A bigger turbo will get you more power at 15psi than a smaller turbo at 15 psi.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so uve beaten boosted ls/vtec's with a n/a d series. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. u must have one of those electric superchargers from ebay. i hear they add like 200hp and reduce weight by 50%. :lol:

brake boosting, smaller turbo, correct piping diameter, etc will fix all those problems u mentioned.

civic my love

5+ Year Member
turbo d16y7

Hi! peep's! I am doing a dsm turbo project on my car and having problem getting it to start I think its the resistor box goint to my dsm injector are they the same installation as an eg or is it my ecu that the proplem. thanks and speed safely....

mosaic_hardflip

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! peep's! I am doing a dsm turbo project on my car and having problem getting it to start I think its the resistor box goint to my dsm injector are they the same installation as an eg or is it my ecu that the proplem. thanks and speed safely....
WTF