Turbo

Es1986

hi i am new to this website. i couldnt figure out how to make a new post help would be appreciated thanks. on another note i have a 96 civic hatchback with a d16y7 5 speed trans ive been wanting to build it up for some time now and have been doing alot of research and keep getting alot of conflicting information i have about an 8 grand budget and would like to make it a turbo car ive been a mechanic for the last 4 years but dont have alot of experience when it comes to performance applications my goals are to make at least 350hp to the wheels but the more the marrier lol ive seen some crazy dynos on youtube with d16y8s pushing 500hp also im not looking for an every day driver but it would also be nice to be some what dependable and to pass indiana emissions and be a street or strip car any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks for your time

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do a B swap and then turbo or save a few thousand more and do a K swap and a turbo.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why? Turbo the d 350 is not that hard.
exactly, why waste money on a new power plant that you could use to make the one you have even better. for the price of a k swap you could have a sleeved d16 with forged rods and pistons and still have money left.

i would do a head swap to a d16z6 or y8 and intake manifold swap, you dont want that y7 manifold for a turbo setup

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Umm he said still pass emissions...

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
f**k emissions tests and if he want to put out some power then passing emissions test still is not going to be possible most likely with a b series turbo.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Like I said 350 is easy can always make more. Just turn up the boost
You know there is a lot to say about head flow, and usable powerbands.

You're right, you can just turn up the boost and make whatever power you want. I just like looking at more than one angle.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
No one threw out h or j series.
Well because...

A) H series is a pain to boost

B) J series is a pain to tune

C) OP doesn't seem very savy in the engine build/boost build yet, so either of those swaps might be better for something later down the road