Twisted Steering Column

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My steering column has been uneven since I purchased it although its never been an issue in any way. Today I finally removed the steering wheel and clock spring to inspect why and its clear that the lower bracketing is twisted. I added a few colored lines as visual references. front lined.jpg

The car has definitely never been in any collision that would lead to any such damage. My best guess is some previous fool must've used some combination of adjustable wrenches or pry bars on the lower red-marked bracket in order to use leverage to break loose and/or tighten the steering wheel nut to do who-knows-what.
left lined.jpg

Here's further proof. The two stop tabs on each side that stop the upper/lower adjustment clearly don't align equally. This picture shows the left stop tab (in blue) stopping an the highest point but not in the designated notch due to the twisted column bringing it out too far out to the left.

In this picture, the right stopping tab is clearly short of reaching the highest stopping point while the left is at its maximum height, again due to the twist.

right lined.jpg

I would assume my best bet is to use pry bars and long adjustable wrenches to straighten back but I'd like input on anything I should be aware of when doing so. I don't want to somehow adversely damage my steering alignment.

whitesedan

Respected
5+ Year Member
If the steering column is that twisted, you might be better off replacing the whole column. My buddies integra had the same issue and we tried with a pry bar, It didn't work so well.

It's not that difficult to change out and we were able to straighten the steering wheel when the column was replaced. It took less then 30 minutes to replace and re-center, just make sure your wheels are straight as possible before you start.

Edit: Make sure where the steering column bolts into is not bent or damage. I think your car was stolen before if it was bought second hand.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it was prolly wrecked.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it was prolly wrecked.
It definitely was not. Not only are there no signs of a wreck on a chassis or typical indicative areas but all the fenders & bumpers are original.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just saying, if something like that is bent, its cause of a wreck, or some lard ass pushing on the wheel 100 times day getting in and out.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just saying, if something like that is bent, its cause of a wreck, or some lard ass pushing on the wheel 100 times day getting in and out.
Look again. If a wreck damaged the steering column, it wouldve affected the main mounting points on the bracket and not solely the adjustment structure. The two main mounting points have no signs of damage or repair. You understand my point?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My uncle gave it a look and realized the lower hardware has been re-welded. I cant imagine why, and at this point it doesnt matter, but they clearly didnt line it up right at all. At least it all works fine, so it'll suffice until I feel like finding a straight one at a junkyard.