UK engine swaps

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi all,
I'm looking at doing an engine swap (prob a vti B16A2 and turbo later).

I have a the mechanics worked out, but what is the process for dvla vehichle registration/engine numbers, mot etc..

Also as far as insurance goes, as a 24 year old with 3 years no claims, i pay £560 per 10 month, how much of a jump would you predict for a swap and turbo? (+£200 +500 +1000???)

Are there any other things to concider regarding laws and stuff?

If i'm going to do this swap and turbo its all gotta be legit, so I just want to be prepared before hand.

Thanks!

Andrey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think u can get better answers on British honda forums cause most ppl here are from NA and have no clue about Europe
just my $.02

J18 RSA

driving god ha ha ha ha
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you will have to inform the dvla, you can do this by re entering the correct detail's on your V5 log book, turbo charging it i am not shore about who you would have to inform, if any one other than your insurance company, how ever if you go with some one such as adrian flux who spesh in modded car's you will prob find that your insurance should not go up so much

SpeedyB16a2

5+ Year Member
Im 20 and pay £1995 on a Vti b16a2 1 yrs ncb id expect youd be paying around 1k ive got a mate whos paying £640 with 2 yrs ncb dunno if mods are declared tho

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks speedy. I got a quote, £960 with Adrian Flux which I will probably go with. Tesco wanted £1500 for the STANDARD car!!

If anyone else in UK is looking at swaps, this is the DVLA response to updating V5:

Got the engine now, just waiting for time to do the swap. Should be starting on week commencing 22 August.!

Gwapz

What Type-R u?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good luck on the conversion mate hope it goes well

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gwapz said:
good luck on the conversion mate hope it goes well

Thanks mate, i'll be taking out the d on the 16th August (fingers crossed)

SpeedyB16a2

5+ Year Member
good to hear its all on the go ahead :D Im looking for a b18c1 engine at the moment so i can build it at work but still have the b16 to trot about in :lol: should be pretty straight forward swap i know me and my mates have done some b16 swaps but into b16 based motors so very easy.

mint

Club Civic Sanny!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was half temped to swap my 1.4 carb to a jrodon 1.6 DOHC engine. but thats alot of money and alot of work needed done but my god it would be smart!