Upgrade suggestions?

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Swapping your ecu isn't going to help, nor will any "reprogrammers" or "performance chips". All they do is change your air/fuel maps and kill your motor quicker with very little gain if any. If you're trying to see significant gain with a d series motor, you'll need to go forced induction, or crack the piggy and build the engine to it's limits. There are no secret weapons or shortcuts about it... to make an economy car that can barely do 100whp go fast... it takes money. If you're serious, I'd start working out a budget.
Truf

If you really want to make your car quick don't bother with the bolt ons. Just start saving now and hold off for a turbo. Screw that instant gratification stuff and you'll be happier when you get that turbo.

Danielrod61

Registered VIP
I just bought my Civic last month, and I have never really been into Civic's until now. That's why I camee here to learn more. Thanks though. I want a nice car though, so I'll be adding bolt-ons, and saving at the same time for a turbo.

I was planning on doing a swap this summer with the mindset that my motor wouldn't be good for a turbo.

So, would my 1.6 Vtec be a good base for a turbo?

Danielrod61

Registered VIP
I have pictures of the car in my build thread. Title " '95 Dx"

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just bought my Civic last month, and I have never really been into Civic's until now. That's why I camee here to learn more. Thanks though. I want a nice car though, so I'll be adding bolt-ons, and saving at the same time for a turbo.

I was planning on doing a swap this summer with the mindset that my motor wouldn't be good for a turbo.

So, would my 1.6 Vtec be a good base for a turbo?
Why would you waste your money?

Buying bolt ons is a HUGE waste of money if you are going Turbo and even a bigger waste if you are swapping as they won't go with the new motor. Hell, bolt ons are a huge waste of money on a civic anyway unless you just want sound and looks. The horsepower gain is so small it is LITERALLY not worth it especially on a d series.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Why would you waste your money?

Buying bolt ons is a HUGE waste of money if you are going Turbo and even a bigger waste if you are swapping as they won't go with the new motor. Hell, bolt ons are a huge waste of money on a civic anyway unless you just want sound and looks. The horsepower gain is so small it is LITERALLY not worth it especially on a d series.

even more truf

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
I also have a Civic coupe like yours, but I have an EX with a D16Z6 VTEC engine. You can check out my build thread if you would like, but I have 2.5" straight pipe that connects to a Magnaflow muffler, so I still have my catalytic converter hooked up. I added strut bars and lowered my car to stabilize it in turns.

To me it sounds like you don't have the stock engine that your car originally came with. Try to find out what engine you have just to make sure you do have a D16Z6 or check to see if you have the VTEC solenoid behind your valve cover.

jordan101

easy way to tell if it has vtec is if the spark plugs are in front of the valve cover it is vtec if they are towards the back its not. the dx came with the d15b7 which i have and it has 102 hp and 98 pounds of tq. Now if you want to beat hime with a really cheap swap get a jdm d15b vtec motor 135hp and 107 pounds of tq with the si tranny and a tuned ecu,header/exhaust and intake. hope this helps and ya go to carfax.com put in the vin number and it will pop up the yr and model of ur car

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's a stamp on your motor that tells you what motor it is. Look to the left of your valve cover, and straight down.