V-Tec no work :(

devo1104

5+ Year Member
so this weekend i was doing a little work on my 96 ex and decided to check the v-tec cuz i have never felt it hit. so i checked the unit itself, and when i applied 12v to it from the battery, it worked. i then hooked up a volt meter to the incoming wire and had my friend rev my engine to engage the v-tec, and it never read any voltage. what could be causing it? i was hoping not my ecu because i can't fix that myself. thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
check all of the wiring to the vtec from both ways

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your car will not engage Vtec just sitting there in the driveway... it has to be above a speed... and throttle position be right.. and coolant temp be right...

try this...

if you live on a clear street... clear i mean clean... no dust..

take the air filter box completely out of the car. just leave the hole where you can see the throttle plate...

and do a pull full throttle down the street. you will hear it engage... you may not feel it casue its a SOHC... but you should be able to hear it

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
also, it's a ex, your not going to feel a big boost when vtec hits, you might hear a slight difference in the intake tone, but no real increase in power, personally i wouldn't worry about it unless you have a dohc vtec and can't feel or hear it then.

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
that isnt necessarily ture, i got the sohc d16z6 and i can hear and feel the vtec kick in. I mean REALLY feel it.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that isnt necessarily ture, i got the sohc d16z6 and i can hear and feel the vtec kick in. I mean REALLY feel it.
yeah when you have to tense you neck muscles to keep from bangin yer head on the headrest!

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I once hit vtak in my EJ1 and nearly choked on air.

devo1104

5+ Year Member
your car will not engage Vtec just sitting there in the driveway... it has to be above a speed... and throttle position be right.. and coolant temp be right...

try this...

if you live on a clear street... clear i mean clean... no dust..

take the air filter box completely out of the car. just leave the hole where you can see the throttle plate...

and do a pull full throttle down the street. you will hear it engage... you may not feel it casue its a SOHC... but you should be able to hear it
I have a CAI on it now and when I have done pulls in 1st, I don't see a difference on the tach when it passes 5500

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a CAI on it now and when I have done pulls in 1st, I don't see a difference on the tach when it passes 5500
you wont see a difference...

roll the windows down... and do it again... pull all the way through second until it hits the limiter... start out in low revs though... like 1500 to 2000.. then mash the pedal. dont let up... as it crosses the 4800-5500 ranges.. you will hear a change in the engine note... you wont see it on the tach... and it wont throw you into the seat.

and also... if there was a problem... the check engine light wouldve come on by now... it is OBD2...and the Vtec system is required to throw a check engine light when its not working

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i mean... there are more concrete tests you can do to see if its working...

but mine really is the easiest..