Valve adjustment cost too high??

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well the Em1 almost has 84k on her now & prob NEVER had a valve adjustment in her life nor a dizzy cap & rotor (which i replaced from the advice of Cory :thumbs up ) well anyhow i called honda today and they quoted me $120 to do the valve adjustment + gaskets? which gasket are we talking about (i'm assuming the valve cover) well too high or too low? i'm not good w/ technical s**t to be honest, electronics and basic s**t like tune up, axles, struts etc.. i'm good for but my luck i'd f**k something up

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
120 bucks imo is not bad. i say go a head and do it.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea didnt' sound bad, they said an hour of labor which i would think $70 :what: just trying to figure out where the other $50 comes in, cause i know a valve cover gasket don't cost that much money

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id spec your head for 20 bucks and 20 minuets.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Valve cover gasket is like one of the easiest things that involves taking the block apart (somewhat). I did it by myself during an oil change and to be honest, I had no idea what the f**k I was doing. I loosened nuts that appeared to be holding the cover down, took it off, replaced the gasket, and put cover back on. Gasket cost like 10 bucks new off some dude here too ;).

But 150 don't sound bad. Valve adjustment (valve lash adjustment....w/e if they're the same) seem like difficult processes to those that aren't familiar with engine work. I looked up a lot of DIY's and I got lost within a minute of reading.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vandynamics said:
id spec your head for 20 bucks and 20 minuets.
oh really?? this may sound like a road trip ;) but how about $20 & i buy ya lunch ;) & yea i could do the valve cover gasket, i just don't really feel like attempting something i don't know what i'm doing (i.e the valves) lol

EG-Owns you

Twin Tech Owns Your s**t!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
um you can do your own inspection with some feeler gauges i will ask my buddy what thickness i used to check my s**t but its really easy to check and or adjust after you seen some one do it before and was told how to and tride it yourself farley simple

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
oh really?? this may sound like a road trip ;) but how about $20 & i buy ya lunch ;) & yea i could do the valve cover gasket, i just don't really feel like attempting something i don't know what i'm doing (i.e the valves) lol
scratch the valve cover gasket. unless yours is leaking, there is no reason to replace an already good one.

i wish bj would give me the green light to do some headwork on his gsr head that i have sitting in my garage.

its dirty as f**k and i get a good deal on hot tanking at my local machine shop.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vandynamics said:
scratch the valve cover gasket. unless yours is leaking, there is no reason to replace an already good one.

i wish bj would give me the green light to do some headwork on his gsr head that i have sitting in my garage.

its dirty as f**k and i get a good deal on hot tanking at my local machine shop.
well then, i'll have to get in touch w/ ya and find out when we can cojurn ;) i'm waiting for a valve cover to come back from powder coating, (can't see the green monster anymore) appreciate it, and i'm sure if it aint' too much bj may have a do it

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
umm i believe they are anywhere from 80 bucks to 120...depends on where ya go

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id expect 70/80 bucks.. but thats what i paid w/o a gasket. Keep in mind that THEY have to purchase the gasket, then they are going to upcharge it so they make a profit, then probably tack on a little labor charge as well. I would just tell them you dont need the gasket.. do it yourself later.