very hard to start extra long crank. help please!!!

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
im having issues with my car. it's a d16z6 in a 89 hatch. when i bought my car it ran bad so i rebuilt the motor so i dont really remember when it started. but ever sience i built it it has been doing it.

i get in the car try to start it and it cranks for at least 15-20 seconds and still no start. then i can stop and try again and it might start in like 12 more seconds. i really dont like running the starter that long.

the other way i like to start my car is by turning my ing. on and letting my fuel pump prime 2 times. then i can turn the key on for like 1 second just enough for the motor to crank like half a rotation and it will start up on the 3rd partial crank (1 second crank).

also lately when i drive turn car off leave it like half hour it is very hard to start, almost want to call a tow truck.

once the car is started it runs great no problems at all.
i know starter is good, battery is good. plugs are gapped correctly, same comp across all cyl.

what the hell is wrong with my car. please help. thanks.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you replace the starter with the rebuild? What about fuel pump or FPR?

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have same prob but everything on my motor is new. i just do it three times on.....off ,,, on...off , on. than my car starts. try that.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sounds like the main relay is going bad, If so, then a fuel pump won't help you.

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
sorry had no computer all day.
have new fuel filter, fpr actuning and it holds pressure, same fuel pump that came with the car, i did replace the starter after the rebuild but the old worked fine.
how can i check the main relay?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need to check up your fuel system. this is what i would do.

pull your injectors and visually inspect them. running injector cleaner through them is probably a fantastic idea. check your fuel pressure, make sure it its at 42 psi with no vacuum. check your ignition timing too. and if you are affluent enough, replace the main relay out of maintenance purposes. also check your spark plugs, make sure they are capabable of providing decent spark, although its unlikely they are the cause.

it sounds like the problem lies in the cars ability to build sufficient fuel pressure to start the car. either through faulty injectors, or possibly a dying fuel pump.

check everything.

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
When I Turn The Key On My Fuel Is At 52 Psi. And It Holds. Also I Have New Plugs. The Reason My Fuel Is So High Is Because I Have A 12:1 Comp Setup.