Very noisy valve train when warmed up?

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Hey guys it's been a while, but I have came across a problem.
When I start my car it sounds fine also with acceleration but when the car gets warmed up the valve train gets VERY noisy. I know it is not valve lash because I have already checked. I have a d16z6. Any input?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what weight oil are you running?

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Oh and it's really only noticeable at lower rpm's

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Clever. But I can't Remember. What weight do you suggest be used.
Sorry for the late response but your car calls for 5w-30, but I know plenty of people that run 10w-30 for whatever reason and they're fine. I run 10w-30 in my car just because that's what was used before I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Sorry for the late response but your car calls for 5w-30, but I know plenty of people that run 10w-30 for whatever reason and they're fine. I run 10w-30 in my car just because that's what was used before I bought it.

I checked. And 10w-30 Is what is being used at the moment. I did a little more research and saw that people were having similar problems due to not enough oil getting in the head area. But what stumbles me is that it's really only when the car is warmed up and at low rpm's.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it burning any oil?

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Makes me wonder about the PVC(or pcv?) valve.

99eksi

I checked. And 10w-30 Is what is being used at the moment. I did a little more research and saw that people were having similar problems due to not enough oil getting in the head area. But what stumbles me is that it's really only when the car is warmed up and at low rpm's.
thats because the oil pump isnt working as hard and its based on ur rpms that determines how hard ur oil pump runs. so if ur running a thicker oil and ur oil pump isnt really working hard then maybe not enuff oil is getting to ur head. just a thought bra.

kcburk

Same here...

I've been having the same problem with my 90 model. I've had the valves adjusted a number of times, but the noise/clatter continues. So the solution to this problem is what? New oil pump? New PCV?

kcburk

You guys realize that d and b series have noisy valvetrains to begin with right?
Mine was graveyard quiet when I bought it 23 years ago. Now I realize years a miles will cause wear, but the noise is pretty bad now and I'm told the valve are properly adjusted. So the problem has to be somewhere else.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well being 24 I cant recall what I was hearing back then, I know my folks had a couple accords a couple years after I was born (a 90 model and a 91) and my old man has said on numerous occasions that that every honda he has ever had or been around (like my civics and integas) have that ticking sound. Not saying yours wasnt dead silent at one point, just saying it isnt uncommon. As to what fixes that noise, who knows. Im not spending 2k on a brand new head from honda (if there is any left) for something that mechnically isnt an issue.