Vtec issue... sorta

EJ6b16a2

So i noticed last night when i would hit vtec i would start blowing black smoke. and im thinking this is why im loosing oil. if you know why its doing this it would be helpful to bring to my knowledge!

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It might just be that it's happening in the high RPMs. Is it when you're flooring it or just driving steady through vtec?

Give more info as well, what year, make and engine are you running/?

civic98ek

Registered VIP
i let someone drive my car the other night and it did that when it hit vtec.. never saw my car smoke EVER no idea what it was

DaOne

BLACK smoke is usually gas.. like running rich.
BLUEISH smoke is oil..
Time for a compression test?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Black is fuel. It's usually normal. And pretty much all Honda's burn oil because of VTEC. It adds like 50whp.

EJ6b16a2

its when i am mashin on it but its only when i hit vtec and my windows are tinted so i cant really tell if its black or blueish. and its a 97 hatch with a b16a2. and please dont say valve seals that would ruin my next pay check

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You wouldn't be the first Honda to be blowing smoke. Tons of local ricers with their s**t boxes drive around blowing blue smoke like it's their business. They don't give a s**t about their cars and it's sad.

EJ6b16a2

You wouldn't be the first Honda to be blowing smoke. Tons of local ricers with their s*** boxes drive around blowing blue smoke like it's their business. They don't give a s*** about their cars and it's sad.
Well i care about this thing its my baby all of my money has gone into this thing so far. Thats why i need to figure out whats wrong. Maybe ill do a compression test and see how it comes out

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Piston return springs must be roasted. They're pretty cheap though.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
im only the 2nd owner of my car and an older guy had it so it doesnt smoke it was just one time that the black smoke came out but i also dont have any cats and it runs kinda rich. idk

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow... why is this in OT?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
here is a option, stop trying to hit vtec all the time, just drive it normal. believe me, no one gives a rats ass about hearing your vtec