Vtec's not kicking in..

brittanyx92

wants a better civic =/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how? with tranny?
cuz the guy selling it is my bf's best friend and he's not using it. said he doesn't want it. i believe it does have the tranny. i can't remember. but supposedly the guys that sold it to rico [the guy selling it now] cut the timing belt and took a few parts off and told him that those parts were promised to "other people". but hey, it's better than what i've got now! can't pass up an offer like that =]

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you'd be surprised. i sent in my application and they gave me the option of what part i wanted first, just have to pay for shipping. and go to a car show and wear a shirt and s**t representing the company.
i decided not to cuz they take $99 out of your account when you get accepted, which i did.
but i'll be getting a motor swap fairly soon. b16 without a head for $25 FTMFW!
I hope your not talking about those CarSponsorship scams....

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Last edited:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that's what im thinking... i remember a thread a long time ago about a dude that got pwnd by a "sponsor" web site :shock:
Yea, they charge you if your accepted (and they'll accept anyone who applies, just so they'll take your money), and dont help you out. I'll admit, I got scammed with one fo those back in my early days (when I first got my car, back in '04. I was young & stupid). They took my money, then when I called and ask for parts, they told me they couldnt help me. I asked for paint, and they basically laughed at me. And you can only 'order' parts from certian websites, that are shady as hell.

brittanyx92

wants a better civic =/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ah s**t. yeah, it's carsponsorships. should've thought about that. i'm broke as f**k so they're not getting any money out of me anyways =]

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you planning on doing a manual swap before you run that b16?
There a pain in the f******* ass if you ask me. Me and a buddy did mine and i wanted to rip my hair out many times. I much rather wish i just bought a car that was a manual
Or you just gonna slap an auto ls b series tranny and probably not be much faster if any with the slight upgrade motor? b16 heads btw are gonna run ya about 300 and thats a good price for a complete head.

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
lol i went to that site. filled out the application. got accepted. then when they told me to pay I was like "SCAM!" then they tried calling me and all this s**t and they guy was like oh your car is perfect just what we have been looking for! I was like. "how hard is it really to find a black coupe civic?" I mean really I think there's 10 on my street of different gens but still lol.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you planning on doing a manual swap before you run that b16?
There a pain in the f******* ass if you ask me. Me and a buddy did mine and i wanted to rip my hair out many times. I much rather wish i just bought a car that was a manual
Or you just gonna slap an auto ls b series tranny and probably not be much faster if any with the slight upgrade motor? b16 heads btw are gonna run ya about 300 and thats a good price for a complete head.
What you talking about? 5spd swaps are cake. If you wanted to pull your hair out, you didnt do any research before you started. I did prolly two months of research, and when I actually started the swap, the ONLY issue I had was a stuck tranny bolt. Other than that, 5spd swaps are cake. Ive done two of them so far.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What you talking about? 5spd swaps are cake. If you wanted to pull your hair out, you didnt do any research before you started. I did prolly two months of research, and when I actually started the swap, the ONLY issue I had was a stuck tranny bolt. Other than that, 5spd swaps are cake. Ive done two of them so far.
If i didnt do my research it wouldnt of gotten done...If i didnt do my research i wouldnt of known what parts i needed. It got done in a weekend but it was a pieced together junkyard swap. I personally thought the problems i ran into werent really all that worth it. And not every swap is gonna go the exact same way. I was also wiring the d15b vtec up at the same time too and i personally felt it was a pain in the ass. Not everyone thinks the same about everything. Just cause you find them easy dont mean someone else will.

brittanyx92

wants a better civic =/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
of course i'm gonna do a tranny swap!! my bf is trying to convince me to get an ls tranny. well at the time i got my car i didn't know how to drive a manual and for some reason my dad is completely against them. i keep telling him he might have to help when i wanna swap out my tranny but then he yells at me like "why the f**k do you want a manual anyways? they're a pain in the ass!"
but as of right now i have -$94 in my bank account thanks to that f**king carsponsorship bullshit. i did notice that when i entered my credit card number it didn't say that the payment was non-refundable so i'm gonna b***h and possibly sue until i get my money back =]

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
of course i'm gonna do a tranny swap!! my bf is trying to convince me to get an ls tranny. well at the time i got my car i didn't know how to drive a manual and for some reason my dad is completely against them. i keep telling him he might have to help when i wanna swap out my tranny but then he yells at me like "why the f**k do you want a manual anyways? they're a pain in the ass!"
but as of right now i have -$94 in my bank account thanks to that f**king carsponsorship bullshit. i did notice that when i entered my credit card number it didn't say that the payment was non-refundable so i'm gonna b***h and possibly sue until i get my money back =]
Well damn, sorry to hear they stole your money after all. Good luck with all that.
As for your bf trying to convince you to get the ls tranny...ask him why?
The only good things that come outta the ls tranny is good gas mileage and the longer gears are good for boost, altho people on here will even debate that.
What he should of been doing is convincing you to get a b16 tranny because the way its setup thats gonna be the only tranny your gonna like with that motor. They made the gears short on it to make up for the low displacement and even a gsr tranny will be too long of gears probably for your liking.

brittanyx92

wants a better civic =/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well he said ys1 b16 cable tranny actually. but whatever. i'm getting a little confused. and he's all like b18 for boost.
and he found a b17 head from the same guy for $100 including cams and valve train.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well he said ys1 b16 cable tranny actually. but whatever. i'm getting a little confused. and he's all like b18 for boost.
and he found a b17 head from the same guy for $100 including cams and valve train.
No offense but you can tell ur bf is not really into hondas or knows a lot about them. lol
Your car is an auto right now but its gonna be so much easier and better to set it up for a hydro tranny well because it would be if it was a manual now.
You want the s4c tranny, what came off the b16a3 out of the 99-00 si's
They set the gears so short in that tranny for the lack of displacement and torque, as i stated before thats gonna be your best move. Any other you probably wont like, unless you get a itr tranny but those never go for anything less then 500, lol

As for why hes saying now go b18 for boost idk, lol. Any of the b series you really cant go wrong with boost. The b16 is ok to boost and can handle about double its hp. It has higher compression tho so its gonna be more mandatory for getting a really good tune...Same to be said about the gsr, which seems to be a real popular choice to turbo, and it handles it great. A friend of mine turboed his b18c1 when it had 140K and now has closer to 160k and still holding strong. Im assuming when he said the b18 is great for boost tho he was talking about the b18b1 or a1 in that it has the ideal compression for turbo. They say they can handle like 300-350 whp.

As for the b17 head, idk anything about them really. Im pretty sure they werent even a usdm motor. But as long as they are the same casting that the b16 is then you shouldnt have any issues. If its exactly like the b16 head well congrats on the pick up. Your gonna need a good bit of stuff yet still but good luck on those 2 pick ups because they are what is normally gonna be the most expensive things, minus tranny.
Now all you need to do is work on getting your money back from this bs company that ripped you off ;)
Btw sorry for the long post, lol

brittanyx92

wants a better civic =/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok. so exactly what kind of motor are you expecting me to build here? this is just gonna be a daily driver. i'm not going to the track or anything. maybe a few random races on the street for the cocky assholes around here. Honestly tell me why i would care about gear ratios? I don't have a lot of money and my bf is piecing me together a decent little motor set up, and it's gonna be boosted. Hes had a DA integra, three CRX's and a ef hatch, all fairly built. So if you have the money to buy me that "amazing" transmission, go for it. Until then i'm gonna stick with my simple obd1 setup, get the ys1 with its fairly nice gearing and stock lsd, and throw me a little junkyard turbo setup on there and call it a day. if that's ok with you. and when it comes to tuning, he's gonna hook me up with crome. and if you're such a honda expert, you should definitely go look up a 92-93 GSR. truthfully, i'd love to go for a b18 but that's not really available to me right now. and the ys1 is what comes on the b16a. so how about you go about your merry little way and tell someone else what to do with their car. cuz i'm doing what the f**k i want.

chuggins

pewpewpew!!1!1!!
5+ Year Member
Whats the fun in debating what someone wants to do with there car? If she wants to do that. by all means, shes got every right to. I think it will be good for her car. Brittany, remember, your vtec is laggy lol.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok. so exactly what kind of motor are you expecting me to build here? this is just gonna be a daily driver. i'm not going to the track or anything. maybe a few random races on the street for the cocky assholes around here. Honestly tell me why i would care about gear ratios? I don't have a lot of money and my bf is piecing me together a decent little motor set up, and it's gonna be boosted. Hes had a DA integra, three CRX's and a ef hatch, all fairly built. So if you have the money to buy me that "amazing" transmission, go for it. Until then i'm gonna stick with my simple obd1 setup, get the ys1 with its fairly nice gearing and stock lsd, and throw me a little junkyard turbo setup on there and call it a day. if that's ok with you. and when it comes to tuning, he's gonna hook me up with crome. and if you're such a honda expert, you should definitely go look up a 92-93 GSR. truthfully, i'd love to go for a b18 but that's not really available to me right now. and the ys1 is what comes on the b16a. so how about you go about your merry little way and tell someone else what to do with their car. cuz i'm doing what the f**k i want.
I wasnt expecting you to build anything. now your putting words in my mouth. All i said is with that b16 your not gonna want a cable b16 trans as its much easier and CHEAPER to go hydro or an ls trans which you originally said. And there not expensive at all unless 350-400 is alot... Just saying theres a reason they stopped making cable trannys in 92 in civics and 94 in integras. People who upgrade to manual normally put a hydro trans in their car for a reason 92 and up.
You do what you want but you build it cheap however you want, i was just giving you an honest opinion based on experience, but go the cheap route then....The saying "you get what you pay for" is normally true and it will show down the road. And why would i look up a 92-93 gsr...? That comment made no sense. And just so you know the ys1 arent all lsd, but im sure you already knew that.
And for the record i wasnt telling you what to do, trying to suggest what would be better or more sensible being that it was i could clearly tell your info was off on some things.
But as i said before you do what you want, just dont be surprised that your setup dont last. Going cheap never works