Want to do an engine swap

superkart69

Im trying to find out where i could either get a B18 or a D16 fairly cheap. it can be completely stock because will it be torn down and rebuilt. I just need to know what the best sites or if anyone knows anyone selling one i have a few hundred dollars to play with. also doesnt matter if the head gasket is blown like i said will be rebuilding everything so all i have to do when its done is drop it in and tune it. if anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly I've found that piecing it together is cheaper. That's what I've been doing with my swap.

superkart69

so then look for a block here a head somewhere else, pistons, rods everything? you think junk yards would be good or do you think the elements would have damaged them too much?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so then look for a block here a head somewhere else, pistons, rods everything? you think junk yards would be good or do you think the elements would have damaged them too much?
Ehhh... I'd be weary about junkyards. Just because there's usually a reason why it's there vs. in a car.
I would just look on Craigslist. I've bought my head and block of off there.
Buying it piece by piece:
-relieves you of the pain of tearing everything apart to rebuild, it's already apart
-gives you a chance to see the internals of the head/block firsthand
-gives you the chance to build the internals easier (if you wanted)
-allows you to buy parts cheaper/faster versus saving a bunch of money to buy a complete swap (which is usually overpriced because it is complete)

I bought my head complete (minus cams) and I bought a complete block (however I got to test drive it first, which is awesome if you can) and both have checked out wonderfully. But I'm also doing a rebuild/OEM build.