Want to get into photography

Hllywood

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
5+ Year Member
This summer i am thinking of taking a photography class at the college....but i really have no idea what to look when buying a camera.....i need some ideas, i would like to get good enough to do some freelance work. I was going to use my mothers camera but i want something a lil more updated then her awesome canon from the 70's.

What are you suggestions????

XcLuSiVeLy4GoD

ODP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SLR or DSLR. I have a camera that very well could be as old as me, but it takes great pix. If your camera works then use it. If you want to buy something more up to date, I would look into a Canon or Nikon DSLR. From what I have seen they produce incredible pictures.

Hllywood

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
5+ Year Member
I also was browsing around and noticed that i don't really know a whole lot.....haha....noobie!!!! But do you have any good sites about cameras, tips and hints, etc.....

This lady is what really inspired me to get into photography! I just love her work http://whorer-movie.deviantart.com/

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Definitely look into getting something like the Canon XT (350D), Canon XTi (400D), Nikon D40/D50...something along those lines. Those will be good cameras for you to start with.

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look for a used camera to start. check out bhphotovideo.com they usually have good deals on used camera's and equipment. i myself would suggest a Nikon D50 to start. that is what i started on and loved it and have since upgraded to the D80. im not saying a Canon is bad i just like Nikon better. its all up to you though.

here is a D50 w/18-55mm lens used 9/10 condition.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800566430-USE/Nikon_25231_D50_Digital_Camera_Kit.html

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get an SLR for the class, if you end up liking photography and having some success then spend money on a DSLR.

professavanessa

5+ Year Member
I have a nikon and it is pretty much incredible.

I also have a dated minolta camera that takes great pictures.
Were you looking for a film camera or do you want to go digital?

crz1o13o4

5+ Year Member
damn you guys are camera whores... i wish i had the $ like that... do any of you guys have the Nikon D1 dslr... cus i was price checking some nice cameras and i seen that that specific camera is $5,500 USD

Hllywood

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
5+ Year Member
I think i would go digital. I was out today with my old school al-1 canon and figured i could use that one for the film part.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn you guys are camera whores... i wish i had the $ like that... do any of you guys have the Nikon D1 dslr... cus i was price checking some nice cameras and i seen that that specific camera is $5,500 USD
I have a D1X and a D1H. They've been discontinued for a while now though. can find them used for around $800 or so.

I think i would go digital. I was out today with my old school al-1 canon and figured i could use that one for the film part.
Learn with the SLR, then move on to digital.

91SiVTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
me TOO! i wana get into it too!!!

and do it as a career, but i don't know in which field though...

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Learn with the SLR, then move on to digital.

f**k that :lol:

in this day and age there is absolutely no reason to do that. it will cost more and be MUCH more frustrating.

take advantage of technology. learn on a digital camera with manual settings. All the benefits of film for a beginner, with none of the waiting, upkeep costs, film/developing costs, not to mention the cost of another camera and switching formats later down the road.

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
like lownotslow said that camera is discontinued now. the D3 is the new top end model. $5000 from bhphotovideo. i wish i could afford something like that but its way out of my league.

to OP. like i said start with the example i gave you and if you get into it you can always upgrade, if not at least you didnt go spending 1200 bucks on something you wont use.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k that :lol:

in this day and age there is absolutely no reason to do that. it will cost more and be MUCH more frustrating.

take advantage of technology. learn on a digital camera with manual settings. All the benefits of film for a beginner, with none of the waiting, upkeep costs, film/developing costs, not to mention the cost of another camera and switching formats later down the road.
The skills and techniques learned in the dark room directly carry over to the digital realm, you cannot however learn the same techniques in Photoshop and carry them to the darkroom.

Plus she already has the camera and glass and most classes provide discounted film and nearly free processing covered by the class fee. There's more to photography than just taking the photo.

plus if they decide that they're really not into photography like they thought they would be, they haven't spent $500 on a new rig.

Hllywood

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
5+ Year Member
I like playing in the darkroom....haha......i took a photography class last semester and we just learned the basics, but now i want to start taking more advanced classes. We learned the basics of photo shop but there is so much you can do w/ that program.....I want to buy a digital camera so that way i know how to do both digital and film.