Wanting to begin my F/I journey...

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, before too long the swap and coilovers and all the other things will be paid off and my next task it to boost it. My first decision is of course if I want to boost it on the stock internals or if I want to go ahead and build the engine. As of now I have the B16.

The thing is, I dont want to buy a kit that's 2K+ when I can build one myself cheaper. This doesnt mean I want to throw a kit together like Biz's (no offense man). I dont really want to fabricate my own parts as much as just buying the exact pieces I want and putting it together. I want it to look nice and new, etc.

If I decide to build the engine first, here's my main question: If I build it, I dont want to bs and 'baby' the engine in a sense. Although, I also want to keep this a street driven daily car and to my understanding you cant just go out and get a boost controller and expect to go from 15 psi and then all of a sudden crank it up to 25 psi and still run optimum due to the fuel maps and whatnot. In my mind...I dont see why I couldnt just have two ecus that I swap out, one for track and one for daily driving. I'm sure something is wrong with my thinking, but hey you got to start somewhere.

A big problem I have right now is...where to start, I guess thats why I created this thread...just to get some sort of guidance. Thanks CC

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hear ya dude. I say stay stock internals at first like at around 8psi just to feel it out. Once you get used to boost then build it and turn up the boost. Trust me with small boost like 6-8lbs you'll be like :shock:

I'm confused about the whole program thing myself like if I want to run 8psi street and 12 psi track. I was told that I could use the same ecu and program it according to how much boost it sees. So if I just crank up the boost controller to 12psi at the track my ecu will automatically adjust. I'm not so clear on that yet and I'm talkin to some guy from Kalamazoo right now on this whole uberdata thing. Good f**kin luck and make sure you get it tuned good ;)

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

GREAT WRITE UP...

and yeah...thats kind of my thinking too biz...get me a simple turbo setup, just to get my foot in the door, and go from there.

As far as the dual programming...Another option I remember hearing about is having a computer which would store both of the diff settings (just eliminates 2 ecus). But this is something that I'll definetly need to figure out when I build the engine and turbo.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bizoneoeh said:
I hear ya dude. I say stay stock internals at first like at around 8psi just to feel it out. Once you get used to boost then build it and turn up the boost. Trust me with small boost like 6-8lbs you'll be like :shock:

I'm confused about the whole program thing myself like if I want to run 8psi street and 12 psi track. I was told that I could use the same ecu and program it according to how much boost it sees. So if I just crank up the boost controller to 12psi at the track my ecu will automatically adjust. I'm not so clear on that yet and I'm talkin to some guy from Kalamazoo right now on this whole uberdata thing. Good f**kin luck and make sure you get it tuned good ;)
im getting familier with crome (recently obtained crompro www.tunewithcrome.com)

its much more solid then UD. personally, i dont like UD one bit. its freeware, so you get what you pay for lol.

for T!mmy, i suggest running a smaller turbo on the 1.6. the b16's breath top end, and a small snail would greatly increase your tq and low end output.

for instance my motor. a 2 liter, could really take advantage or a larger trim turbo which would spool around 3 or 4k

but for your application look for a t3 or t28. even a t25. its hard to find a t28/t25 exhaust manifold for a b series. they are out there, but hard to find.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oilpool said:
im getting familier with crome (recently obtained crompro www.tunewithcrome.com)

its much more solid then UD. personally, i dont like UD one bit. its freeware, so you get what you pay for lol.

for T!mmy, i suggest running a smaller turbo on the 1.6. the b16's breath top end, and a small snail would greatly increase your tq and low end output.

for instance my motor. a 2 liter, could really take advantage or a larger trim turbo which would spool around 3 or 4k

but for your application look for a t3 or t28. even a t25. its hard to find a t28/t25 exhaust manifold for a b series. they are out there, but hard to find.
thanks for the link :D I'm still searchin for a program

slammedSI

5+ Year Member
bizoneoeh said:

yeah when i first boosted my car, i went with the greddy kit, @ 5 psi it made 200 wheel hp. and trust me i was like :shock: i was very supprised at what 200 hp felt like. after that i got it tuned and did a hks head gasket and turned it up to 12psi and made 317 on a stock block and head b16. its a addiction i had to have more so i took the motor out and built it from the block to the head. now its making 422 whp at 23psi and i still drive it on the street 3 time a week, but its def not street legel :D

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
slammedSI said:
yeah when i first boosted my car, i went with the greddy kit, @ 5 psi it made 200 wheel hp. and trust me i was like :shock: i was very supprised at what 200 hp felt like. after that i got it tuned and did a hks head gasket and turned it up to 12psi and made 317 on a stock block and head b16. its a addiction i had to have more so i took the motor out and built it from the block to the head. now its making 422 whp at 23psi and i still drive it on the street 3 time a week, but its def not street legel :D
that was my original plan...I just see everyone downing the greddy kits and all...

You say you got it tuned and did the HKS HG...was that a asfely driven 12 psi daily? or is the rule of thumb still for daily driving not to go over 8 psi?

EDIT: I just realized you are from Ft. Worth....Nice to know I've got some semi-close Texas members with apparently a good bit of helpful info. You dont happen to have a IM service of any kind do you?

slammedSI

5+ Year Member
T!mmy said:
that was my original plan...I just see everyone downing the greddy kits and all...

You say you got it tuned and did the HKS HG...was that a asfely driven 12 psi daily? or is the rule of thumb still for daily driving not to go over 8 psi?

EDIT: I just realized you are from Ft. Worth....Nice to know I've got some semi-close Texas members with apparently a good bit of helpful info. You dont happen to have a IM service of any kind do you?
yeah i was safe, i drove it for a long time at 9 psi and it did fine but when it was time for the track or the sudden corvette lol it went to 12 psi. but at that psi and nitto's street tires 1,2, and 3 gear was not very usefull. oh and i forgot to ad that i had ARP head bolts. yeah i have AIM, YAHOO, and MSN if you want my screen names they are, bobbysicivic for aim, tdo5honda for yahoo, and tdo5honda@hotmail.com. hit me up sometime im always on line.