Water in Trunk - 2000 LX

browns58

5+ Year Member
I recently bought this 2000 LX. Notice that after a heavy rain there is some water in the trunk bottom near the spare and on the innertrunk carpet Don't see any water on the inside tail light housing. Any ideas? Thanks

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its typical. i think it comes in from the edge around the taillights. mine does it too

i used to keep my bookbag in my trunk, then started noticing my books were always getting ruined from water :shock:

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have sunroof/moonroof (either one, you kno what i mean)?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
moonroof has little drainage canals that run down the pillars. they shouldnt leak into the trunk

however there are small clear drain tubes behind the trunk lining that drain the water from the roof trim down into the wheel well that could leak

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the same problem on my em2 water gets in by my tailights...i gotta replace the trunk seal when i get a chance.

shocker991_98EK

5+ Year Member
its either coming around the tail lights or your seal on your trunk is shot. i get the same thing and im pretty sure its the seal around the trunk

TheRealPeterman

New Civic Fan
5+ Year Member
I have witnessed water penetration from missing/damaged plastic washers that make up the hardware that hold down the spoilers, if there is one on this car. Mine has 4 'dome' nuts and plastic washers......?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get inside your trunk on a heavy rain and watch where it leaks. my taillight seal and trunk seals were both fine, i actually found out water was getting in from the rear door weather strip around where the door closes. its the plastic trim piece that clips to the holes on the car body just above the actual car door. so when you open the door, its the only strip thats on the car body and not the door. i put some rubber sealer on the clips and snapped it back on, no more leaks.

Chief Slapaho

Registered Tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why wait till it rains? just get a hose and have a friend douse your trunk in water while you watch inside your trunk. take out all of your lining and padding in your trunk first though. you'll find the leak rather quickly. i had the same problem and it was coming from my tail light