Weird Dash Light Problem

lo-n-slo

Hello, first post on this forum. I know this is a very frequent problem, but before I get flamed I have searched the forums and haven't quite found someone with my exact problem.

My dash lights do not work unless i press very firmly on the dimmer switch. The dimmer does work. If I jiggle it a little, sometimes I can get it to stay on, but only for a couple of seconds. I have removed the switch and checked the wiring, but nothing looked out of the ordinary. The interior of the car is completely LX stock, with the exception of an older Sony CD player.
The other thing is my AC/ Heat lights don't work either. Sometimes if I hit the top of them, just below the air vent, I can get half of the section to come on.
I believe there must be a short somewhere, but I can't even begin to troubleshoot where.
My blinkers, parking brake, hi beam and turn signal lights work just fine.
I've even noticed that without my headlights on, occasionally when I hit the blinker, my clock will flicker bright.
I went to a junk yard and removed the entire dash harness out of another EG8, so I have it, but I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. I don't know the slightest thing about taking apart the dash or electrical problems.
Please help....this is annoying.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds to me like you partially answered your own question.

You have a short or bad ground somewhere. There is absolutely nothing we can do here but guess. Need to dig in and find it.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
The dimmer switch might be junk. The one that came with my car didn't work. My dash lights didn't even turn on . I had to jump the wires making my Lights Max brightness when on. I grabbed a new switch from the yard n it does exactly what yours is doing

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2