weird "hissing" sound coming from engine bay (with video)

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Video's not working.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks like you're missing a vacuum line. Try and look online (or under your hood) and look for a vacuum routing diagram. There should be a hose that goes there, and to somewhere else.

RonJ

Banned
That's the cruise control vacuum tank. You're missing a hose (or it's disconnected) that runs from the vacuum tank to the cruise control actuator assembly near the power steering fluid reservoir.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's the cruise control vacuum tank. You're missing a hose (or it's disconnected) that runs from the vacuum tank to the cruise control actuator assembly near the power steering fluid reservoir.
See, I ALMOST got it right. lol Just need to work on my parts knowledge :P

mikeyisfresh

yeah I found a hose in that general area, it's a single house with a coupler that goes into two hoses.... would any info on this be in the owners manual? I have one I've downloaded that seems to be accurate so far for EM1s.

a friend of mine told me just to take the hose off the back of the intake manifold and put a vacuum line cap on it and just not worry about it...

Thanks for the great info, man! and also, thanks to everyone else for contributing.

mikeyisfresh

I don't even think I have the actuator under my hood.... I honestly could do without cruise control, if needed, although it's nice on long trips... let me go check if I have that part.

mikeyisfresh

like I suspected, it has been removed.... oh well, no big issue. would there be a problem with just capping that output on the intake manifold? my car seems to idle at lower RPMs if I block the vacuum tank thingy.

mikeyisfresh

I do have a box full of parts that he has removed, maybe the actuator is in there. I'll have to look tomorrow. I also need to figure out how to re-install the windshield washer pump, because it's aggravating driving with a dirty windshield. lol

again, RonJ, thanks so much for your help.