Weird tire wear

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So this is the car the wife drives, honda accord 05. I have never seen any tire wear like this. but i took it in for an alignment (havent serviced in 5 years), and they saw the tire was wearing bad. The guy said its due to busted struts. he said the tires tend to bounce which caused the results. So any idea if this is true? and also if its because of bad struts or another reason...?

What ever the case, the front is definitely bad because one of the tires is brand new and its already showing the same tire wear as the ones in the rear. the ones in the rear were once in the front.

so here are the pictures of the rear tires.

as you can see the darker areas is sunken in. so it steps out then steps in, out, in, etc.

emerican

Registered VIP
did you go ahead and get it allighned while you where there. If you did i would just measure the wear now and wait a little while and see if it gets worse casue the allighment may fix it not sure though never seen one like that.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I did not get the alignment because it needs some other work before I get the alignment, or else I would have to do it twice.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's called feathering or chopping. Your toe is out of wack. Get an alignment asap.

And this is why toe is worse than camber.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Your tire is cupped, whoever told you your shocks are bad might be right. When your tires are worn like that it indicates that some part of the suspension is allowing the tire to bounce up and down when you're driving.

It could be a poorly balanced tire(that's the last place I would look), I would put my money on one of the following: bad shocks, bearings, ball joints, busings or even springs. Most of the stuff you could check in your driveway and then simply buy the parts that you need to replace and get an alignment.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your tire is cupped, whoever told you your shocks are bad might be right. When your tires are worn like that it indicates that some part of the suspension is allowing the tire to bounce up and down when you're driving.

It could be a poorly balanced tire(that's the last place I would look), I would put my money on one of the following: bad shocks, bearings, ball joints, busings or even springs. Most of the stuff you could check in your driveway and then simply buy the parts that you need to replace and get an alignment.
Also, when suspension components start to get a lot of miles on them (ie - my car @ 216k), they don't hold alignment settings as well as they should. I've been told it's recommended to get an alignment at least once a year. I might have to start doing this since I just got my car aligned 2 years ago and it needed it last year (which I didn't know at the time).

I would replace bushings, ball joints, etc., but I'm really not interested in dumping a ton of money into a 12 year old car with 216,000 miles.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

I will definitely check the suspension parts today in my driveway, I got some notes on how I could check these components. I also found a brand that has lifetime warranty on shocks/struts, Monroe. so its a good deal if I end up replacing the shocks/struts.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also, when suspension components start to get a lot of miles on them (ie - my car @ 216k), they don't hold alignment settings as well as they should. I've been told it's recommended to get an alignment at least once a year. I might have to start doing this since I just got my car aligned 2 years ago and it needed it last year (which I didn't know at the time).

I would replace bushings, ball joints, etc., but I'm really not interested in dumping a ton of money into a 12 year old car with 216,000 miles.
Well this car has 74,000 miles and its deficiently worth dumping money. As for my civic, its along with your car, it needs an alignment and a new suspension as well. I will check those suspension parts once I buy fnf2, which is next on my list for that car.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Had the same exact thing happen on my silverado. Replaced the shocks and it hasn't done it since. Replace the struts/shocks and get an alignment.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Shocks is probably the last thing I would replace on a car with only 74,000... probably just bushings/ball joints.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Shocks is probably the last thing I would replace on a car with only 74,000... probably just bushings/ball joints.
s**t, iv seen cars with 30k miles that needed new shocks, never say never man

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
s**t, iv seen cars with 30k miles that needed new shocks, never say never man
Depends on driving conditions. My car had nearly 200k miles when I put my new suspension on and the tires never cupped or had alignment problems and that was all original suspension parts, nothing was ever replaced.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's what my EM2 has. Dealer forgot to mention that the shocks were blown and the rear control arms are bad :roll:
Got an alignment and still driving on those tires. Just shakes but as tires begin to lose their tread then the wear begins to even out.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thats what I was thinking, but a second opinion also told me to check the shocks. So it all points to that.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's what my EM2 has. Dealer forgot to mention that the shocks were blown and the rear control arms are bad :roll:
Got an alignment and still driving on those tires. Just shakes but as tires begin to lose their tread then the wear begins to even out.
you never replaced the shocks and rear control arms???

I hate shady dealers...

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you never replaced the shocks and rear control arms???

I hate shady dealers...
Well ive only had the car for about 10k miles now. Only reason i didnt b***h at them to replace them was because i was planning on replacing them anyways with a camber kit and coilover suspension. Have gotten camber kits and coilovers are on their way =)

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well ive only had the car for about 10k miles now. Only reason i didnt b***h at them to replace them was because i was planning on replacing them anyways with a camber kit and coilover suspension. Have gotten camber kits and coilovers are on their way =)
You could of b***h about it and tell them to reduce the overall price. you could of koncked off a few 20's.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyways, I got 2 more professional opinons. One mechanic and a second person that works at an alignment. Both said Its not the struts/shocks. It because of the rims. Rims have issues, especially with low profile tires. They said just get the alingment and have the proper air in the tires, 40psi. and to be sure to rotate tires every 4,000 miles. however rims have directional tires so I cannot criss cross the rims.

So I will just do an alignment and keep the air equally among all four. I will observe the tire thread wear pattern and hopefully it will diminish. If not then back to square one.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Anyways, I got 2 more professional opinons. One mechanic and a second person that works at an alignment. Both said Its not the struts/shocks. It because of the rims. Rims have issues, especially with low profile tires. They said just get the alingment and have the proper air in the tires, 40psi. and to be sure to rotate tires every 4,000 miles. however rims have directional tires so I cannot criss cross the rims.

So I will just do an alignment and keep the air equally among all four. I will observe the tire thread wear pattern and hopefully it will diminish. If not then back to square one.
Also, I'm pretty sure that you should get an alignment with the wheels you want on the car. I need an alignment right now but I'm still on steelies for winter so I'm waiting until spring for when I put my other wheels on.