Wetsanding

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's your strategy when you can't just run a hose over the rims you're sanding? I've heard something about using a soapy solution. Also to just wet the paper? How do you guys do it? I wanna finish my rims this winter and I obviously can't do it outside with a hose.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get a spray bottle, and just spray the rim down alot while sanding. You dont have to use a soapy solution, but you can. EIther way works fine.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some people put the pieces of sand paper in a bowl of water.

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So running water constantly over it isn't necessary? Just make sure the surface and paper have enough lubrication to wash away the small particles you've sanded off?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just make sure that the sand paper and the rim are always wet. You don't want to get dry spots. I like to use a spray bottle and constantly spray the area that is being sanded. helps remove the sandings off of the paper and wheel.

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You basically just want to keep the particals from clogging the grit and ruining the finish on the paint. More water the better but I like to use as little as possible so I can wipe it clean and check if I missed anthing.

str8venom99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive done some wheels at my apartment(no garden hose) and used a bucket of water and a spray bottle with water. just keep them wet

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I use a rag soaked in warm water and made sure that I dripped it constantly on the sand paper. I would make sure you always have a stream of water on it. Id rather do that then have problems later since I didnt have enough water.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's your strategy when you can't just run a hose over the rims you're sanding? I've heard something about using a soapy solution. Also to just wet the paper? How do you guys do it? I wanna finish my rims this winter and I obviously can't do it outside with a hose.
a larger sponge is what ive always used for any westanding.

simply squeeze a little at a time according to what you need, and dip once dry.

works quite well.

a SMALL dab of soap in the bucket/sink/whatever you're using will help a little as well... but it must be a very small amount or it'll make it a b***h to westand

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i polish the semi rims and rails at work, i use a 1000 or higher grit sandpaper. get a bucket of waterand i would dip the sand paper in the water and start sanding. you can never have too much water when wet sanding. sometimes if you move onto another area the water might dry... just rewet before sanding again so the paper doesn't get clogged up.

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, I started too low. I was using emery cloth on a machined surface...DOH all I needed was 800 grit probably. Oh well, I'll have to do it all the way up for this first rim.

kynetguy

5+ Year Member
Using water helps in many ways.

1) Keeps the airborne dust down.
2) Keeps the sand paper from clogging up and becoming less effective
3) Keeps the small particles from redopositing and embedding back into the metal.

When I polish machined wheels, I start with 120grit. Lightly sand until the machine marks are gone are nearly gone.

Then I work up from there:

Each successive grip is essentially removing the lines from the previous grit.

The hard part is removing the initial machine marks. The 120 will usually make pretty short work of this once ou bust through pait/clear coat (if present). The other grit up to and including 400 should move fairly quickly. The real patience comes with the 800 and up. And this point you are at a good shine and trying to remove haze and cloudiness.

You will spend most of your time at 800 and up removing fine scratches. Since these grits remove very little material, be prepared to spend some time. On these grits it is especially important to flush the paper often and wipe down the wheel thouroghly with a clean/well rinsed damp sponge if you are not able to provide a continuous flow of water. These grits will redeposit metal very easily. It will look like little bumps on your rim.

Once you get everything down to a 1500 grit finish, buff buff buff buff and buff again. If you don't have posihing wheels, a terry cloth towel works very well. Once down to 1500, Mothers will work well for you. Jewler's rouge and a polishing wheel works best, but mothers and terry cloth will provide pretty amazing results.

Also, when doing this, it is VERY important to always sand in the same direction. If you sand one way then go 90 degrees from it, you are really going to delay the process and never get good results.

Depending on what kind of rim you are working on and what equipment you have to work with, if you have a way to spin the wheel, it will go MUCH faster.

I have been known to put a car on a lift, (I have a hydroulic lift in my garage) start it and put it in gear and let the engine do the work. But I don't recommend this unless you have a very stable setup. A floor jack is not stable. You could easily kill yourself or someone, physically mame yourself, destroy your car and other property.

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol i thought of that when i was doing my own wheels and then i thought of ferris bueler and i reconsidered.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
when i polish the semi rims and rails at work, i use a 1000 or higher grit sandpaper. get a bucket of waterand i would dip the sand paper in the water and start sanding. you can never have too much water when wet sanding. sometimes if you move onto another area the water might dry... just rewet before sanding again so the paper doesn't get clogged up.
yeop exactly what i did to polish the lip on my wheels...^^^

kynetguy

5+ Year Member
yeop exactly what i did to polish the lip on my wheels...^^^
If you used 1000 grip on a machined surface lip, you spent a LONG LONG time. That or you never got it completely baby butt smooth and there are still tool marks in it from the machining process.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i work at a bodyshop and went to trade school for bodywork

just wet the area ur sanding, not the entire wheel. u dont need to soak it either, just get it to the point where the paper will just glide along the wheel. when ur hand starts to slip off the paper or u hear friction, reapply water to the area

kynetguy

5+ Year Member
i work at a bodyshop and went to trade school for bodywork

just wet the area ur sanding, not the entire wheel. u dont need to soak it either, just get it to the point where the paper will just glide along the wheel. when ur hand starts to slip off the paper or u hear friction, reapply water to the area

I hate to disagree, but I disagree. Just wetting the paper will not work if you are trying to polish a soft metal like aluminum. The dust (smart particles of metal) will burnish themselves back onto the surface. The idea of water usage when polishing metal is to remove the dust and to keep the paper unclogged to prevent said burnishing.