5+ Year Member
to lock the trunk release

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civic pete said:
oh i see, we dont have them over here . Why a lock there
Because that lever in-front of the lock releases the trunk.

BrakeLights

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
civic pete said:
yea i know that, but just cant see why you would need to lock it there :???:
well if someone broke into your car, and didnt have the key they couldnt get into your trunk. Because they couldnt use the release, or unlock it at the trunk directly.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Isn't there a lock back there too?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's for a valet key. Basically you use your master key to lock that (that's the normal key you have for your car) to lock that little "box" on the floor. Now the gas release works, but the trunk release is locked. Then you give your valet key to the valet or whoever else you might let drive your car but not want in the trunk. The valet key can't open the trunk, won't work the key tumblers on the rear deck to allow the seats to fold forward and won't unlock the valet key box on the floor.

I have a USDM '98 Civic EX coupe and mine has one. My USDM '97 Civic EX coupe also had one. Hatches don't have them here.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes, there is a tumber in the top of the rear deck to allow you to fold the seats forward. Turn the key to the left to lower the left side and to the right to lower the right side. There are also pulls inside the trunk which you can access from behind the car with the trunk popped.

There's also of course the tumbler on the back of the trunk to open the trunk and the tumbler on the floor for the valet lock. Then the ones in the doors and the ignition.

The master key (normal key) works for all the tumblers.

The valet key only works for the doors and ignition. It will not open the trunk, unlock the seats, or unlock the valet lock on the floor.

civic pete

5+ Year Member
ah i see that is handy so, i would never let anybody drive my car, would tell the valet to sit still :lol: :lol: