What are you doing / did you do today / CHAT THREAD

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Pricey to maintain and piles of s***. Gorgeous and I want a slew of them badly. Buy only the newer ones and with warranty.

Sent from my Note 2
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I'm looking into an 06 A4 2.0T for a daily. The major issues everyone talks about really aren't major at all (Cam follower, coil pack which is a recall and replaced for free at dealership, diverter valve which is a $50 part). What makes them so bad?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BMW. That's my dream Euro car.
Also, yeah, the 335i is my absolutely DO WANT car, but sadly, I won't be able to pick one up for a while. The A4 is less than half the price, and easier for me to obtain right now.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also, yeah, the 335i is my absolutely DO WANT car, but sadly, I won't be able to pick one up for a while. The A4 is less than half the price, and easier for me to obtain right now.
I want a E36 325i for a daily SO BAD.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Too old for my tastes. If it's a daily, it's going to be 05+.
This. I want a 6 series badly but I still prefer audi over any other maker. Alas, I'm stuck with Acura soon.

Sent from my Note 2

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sold my s10 today, so ill finally be able to buy parts and paint! =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The starter job was 212.47$ I was expecting more. At least my car starts and it actually sounds a little bit meaner when I floor it on the throttle. Is it weird that it sounds a little bit meaner?

Danielrod61

Registered VIP

Got this in today! Still have a lot of loose ends. And I leave on Saturday for a week. So it will be on hold. It's in though!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm looking into an 06 A4 2.0T for a daily. The major issues everyone talks about really aren't major at all (Cam follower, coil pack which is a recall and replaced for free at dealership, diverter valve which is a $50 part). What makes them so bad?
Parts are expensive. That's typical of all higher end German cars. The higher you go, the more expensive the parts.

Here is the thing. Half the techs at our Audi dealership wouldn't be driving them if they were piles of s**t as Kelly put it. One tech both he and his wife drive Audi. Only one is brand new, the rest of them are used around 2006 or so a couple down around 2003.

You have to understand that they aren't bulletproof Japanese cars. You can't neglect them and beat the hell out of them. They HAVE to be kept up on. Maintenance can't be skipped. Service intervals like timing belts, water pumps, etc NEED to be made when Audi says they need to be done. This isn't a trick to get you to buy parts, this is the failure life of the parts. You can't let it go over a ton of miles like you can a Japanese car. Most people that claim to hate them and call them pieces of s**t are ones that are coming from a low maintenance Asian import. The customers that know the cost and the fact that they have to be maintained on time absolutely LOVE their Audi.

The coil pack is a recall but you only get a free shot ONCE. If it has already been done and needs to again, that is on you. They are only about $35 a piece retail so they aren't really all that expensive.

Just make sure this A4 has been maintained to the "t" and you will be fine. Also sure to get THEM to buy you an extra key if it is at a car lot and they only have one key which most do. Keys for Audis over 2003 are expensive and you can't just go to a normal locksmith to have them made. They are laser cut and NEED to be programed by the dealer. New key for me at cost is about $150 programmed.

Also make sure you keep money aside in your budget for maintenance expenses and don't cheap out. If you aren't going to stay OEM parts at least stay with German aftermarket ones. Audi (and most VW or German cars for that matter) don't do well with non-German aftermarket parts. You WILL be buying the German parts after the cheap knockoff ones fail so you might as well do it right the first time.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So, what's everyone's thoughts on Audi?
Considering they're owned by Volkswagen.
And I just spent another 3 f***ing hours working on this Jetta, and still haven't finished...Hate 'em.

From a looks standpoint? Love 'em.
Quoted Luke Bryan. You're my favorite.
crash! said:
OMG you are my favorite. Thank you soooo much.
Hmm, seems to be a pattern here.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
I heard something about the timing chain costing alot to do also

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Parts are expensive. That's typical of all higher end German cars. The higher you go, the more expensive the parts.

Here is the thing. Half the techs at our Audi dealership wouldn't be driving them if they were piles of s*** as Kelly put it. One tech both he and his wife drive Audi. Only one is brand new, the rest of them are used around 2006 or so a couple down around 2003.

You have to understand that they aren't bulletproof Japanese cars. You can't neglect them and beat the hell out of them. They HAVE to be kept up on. Maintenance can't be skipped. Service intervals like timing belts, water pumps, etc NEED to be made when Audi says they need to be done. This isn't a trick to get you to buy parts, this is the failure life of the parts. You can't let it go over a ton of miles like you can a Japanese car. Most people that claim to hate them and call them pieces of s*** are ones that are coming from a low maintenance Asian import. The customers that know the cost and the fact that they have to be maintained on time absolutely LOVE their Audi.

The coil pack is a recall but you only get a free shot ONCE. If it has already been done and needs to again, that is on you. They are only about $35 a piece retail so they aren't really all that expensive.

Just make sure this A4 has been maintained to the "t" and you will be fine. Also sure to get THEM to buy you an extra key if it is at a car lot and they only have one key which most do. Keys for Audis over 2003 are expensive and you can't just go to a normal locksmith to have them made. They are laser cut and NEED to be programed by the dealer. New key for me at cost is about $150 programmed.

Also make sure you keep money aside in your budget for maintenance expenses and don't cheap out. If you aren't going to stay OEM parts at least stay with German aftermarket ones. Audi (and most VW or German cars for that matter) don't do well with non-German aftermarket parts. You WILL be buying the German parts after the cheap knockoff ones fail so you might as well do it right the first time.
This is all stuff that I've already read up on. My mom owns a BMW, and I've been experienced with upkeep on that. It's really not that bad, and as you stated, you just have to service things when they say you do. Hers has 210k miles on it, and runs great.
Thank you for the info, though! Reaffirms me on wanting one.

Considering they're owned by Volkswagen.
And I just spent another 3 f***ing hours working on this Jetta, and still haven't finished...Hate 'em.

From a looks standpoint? Love 'em.

Hmm, seems to be a pattern here.
VW and Audi may be manufactured by the same company, but they are NOT the same. That's like claiming a Lexus' are pieces of s**t because Scions are :lol:

Not a chain. The kit is around $300 (belt, all the rollers, bolts). Labor depends on who you have do it.
The belts don't usually need replacing until 30-50k, so that's fine. I don't mind the extra expenses, it comes with the territory of owning a European vehicle.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Either way, I'm not happy with them right now :lol:

Tomorrow should be the final day though. Think we'll have about 7hrs invested in replacing a clutch master cylinder.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Either way, I'm not happy with them right now :lol:

Tomorrow should be the final day though. Think we'll have about 7hrs invested in replacing a clutch master cylinder.
I remember helping my buddy replace his clutch on his MKIV Jetta. It was a nightmare. He sold it afterward cause he was so pissed at it :lol: