what code am i getting

SourPanch

Project Smurf
5+ Year Member
i swear my code blinks 12 times. stops then 12 stop then 12. so that means 12 right? but that chart doesn't hav a 12

confirmed: code 12 egr

fix?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U must be reading it wrong.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i swear my code blinks 12 times. stops then 12 stop then 12. so that means 12 right? but that chart doesn't hav a 12
you are counting it correctly - code 12 is for EGR valve - the problem here is that the chart that was originally posted is from the UK CRX manual and it and the method of counting the flashes outlined doesn't apply to the USDM 88-91 CRX/Civic - all USDM OBD0 D-series ECUs do not have long and short flashes, only short flashes - if you don't believe this and you have OBD0 D-series ECU, just unplug the EACV and count the flashes on the ECU - you will find it flashes 14 times or disconnect the VSS and it will flash 17 times or put an automatic ECU in it and it will flash 19 times - OBD0 B-series ECUs and all OBD1 ECUs use long and short flashes - here is the ECU code chart for the 88-91 USDM CRX/Civic

SourPanch

Project Smurf
5+ Year Member
code 12

yup yup. i checkd other resources and did discover the egr code.
now in my continued research it say that hondas egr valves rarly go "broke" but mearly get dirty or clogged.

can anyone hear confirm that and point me in the direction to fix this prob?

RonJ

Banned
Start by checking for a vacuum hose leak and cleaning the EGR valve and its port in the IM.

RonJ

Banned
It should be obvious. The valve and port may be completely clogged with carbon. The carbon may need to be scraped and then cleaned out.

Also check for a vacuum hose leak.

RonJ

Banned
Don't buy a valve unless its necessary. First try cleaning your valve and its port in the IM and checking for vacuum leaks.

SourPanch

Project Smurf
5+ Year Member
so i went to the junkyard and "came up" on two extra egr valves.
an exzact match (valve c)
and a close match just a diff conection and hose direction (valve b)

took em home scraped all the crap out. including the one from my car.(valve a)

i put the complete match from the yard on first.(c)
chek engine code12 agn.
AND stalling of car.

after scraping original (a) and putting bak on
chek engine code12 agn
no stalling tho

BuT and additional code.... code 1 .
my guess just a fluke.

suggestions?

maybe i didnt pvt on the exact replace valve (c) on tight enough? gas escaping?

RonJ

Banned
Did you clean out the corresponding port/passage way for the EGR valve in the intake manifold?

SourPanch

Project Smurf
5+ Year Member
how wud i go about that? i tried taking a work horse on the end of a screwdriver and getting stuff out. but it didn't look all that dirty

SourPanch

Project Smurf
5+ Year Member
i just went to kragean and bought intake and trottle body cleaner. wen my engine cools ima take valve (a) off and fill with cleaner and let sit for a few hours. then give it a final rub down

SourPanch

Project Smurf
5+ Year Member
RonJ i took sum pics but cant get on here cuz i use a ps3. but i can giv u my email just lemme kno.