What do you guys say is stronger and reliable? I or H??

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Well as some of you guys know I am going to build up a spare block and tranny that I have lying around in the garage. Obviously it will be boosted and I am sourcing all my parts to get this all done.
I am going to have custom made forged connecting rods made but what would you go with? i see alot of peeps go H and some say I for no notching. strength wise is H more than I?
what is you take on this?

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I ?????????????????

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe he means k series. Like "I-vtec" ?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
He's talking about H beam and I beam rods...

Honestly, it doesn't matter which you go with for mild motor setups. You probably will never know the difference between an H and I beam rod setup.

With that said, what you really want to do your homework on is the material and weight of the different rods you are shopping for. Lighter rods can give better throttle response and quicker revs, but are made of more expensive materials with lower strengths. I.e. aluminum vs steel

If you're looking to build a high revving N/A motor, i would suggest an aluminum I beam. If you're building a high horsepower boosted motor, i suggest a steel H beam.

If you've got serious cash to burn, you could go with titanium :evil:

Last edited:

sleeper si

Registered VIP
He's talking about H beam and I beam rods...

Honestly, it doesn't matter which you go with for mild motor setups. You probably will never know the difference between an H and I beam rod setup.

With that said, what you really want to do your homework on is the material and weight of the different rods you are shopping for. Lighter rods can give better throttle response and quicker revs, but are made of more expensive materials with lower strengths. I.e. aluminum vs steel

If you're looking to build a high revving N/A motor, i would suggest an aluminum I beam. If you're building a high horsepower boosted motor, i suggest a steel H beam.

If you've got serious cash to burn, you could go with titanium :evil:
i don;t have serious cash to burn. going boost so steel H is what you recommend:oops:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:lol:

Reading > me. I wrote it off as a swap thread before even reading it. :P

sleeper si

Registered VIP
anyways might as well have both I and H beams made since it is not that expensive to put me in the hole.
Atleast I can still have an option to revert to H or I =)
buying just one set of H or I will limit me down the road.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anyways might as well have both I and H beams made since it is not that expensive to put me in the hole.
Atleast I can still have an option to revert to H or I =)
buying just one set of H or I will limit me down the road.
da f**k? you are going to buy both? that's a grand on rods vs 500

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If two sets of rods doesn't put you in the hole, then why not just get titanium H beams and call it a day. :what:

sleeper si

Registered VIP
yeah I know all about turbo builds, but two sets of rods is stupid. you can't just change them
the thing is these are custom made and not bought at the store over the counter. Also I am in the SEA region for another month and buying my parts so I don't want any missing parts or something not fit.:oops:

sleeper si

Registered VIP
got my three sets of custom made I beam custom length rods today.
very unfortunately it looks like my H beam rods will not be ready before I leave from SEA :(

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so what material are they made out of? and I recommend getting a more accurate tool, and one that goes into thousandths

sleeper si

Registered VIP
that is just I beams, unfortunately the h beams won;t be ready when i head back home.
also trying to source some custom made phosphate coated piston is turning to take more time so I will probably just get vitaras and call it a day.