What else do I need besides the set of Function & Forms

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright so I'm buying Function & Form type 1s for my ej8 this weekend. I'm just gonna get them off of amazon from a company called DCmotors for $550.

http://www.amazon.com/Function-Form-Adjustable-Coilover-Suspension/dp/B001XX025G/ref=lh_ni_t

Do I need anything else to go with these? Right now I just have a stock suspension. I assume I can just take off my shocks and struts and put these right in?

Also, do I need to compress the springs of my stock suspension before I take it off? and do I need to undo brake lines or anything? I know its so many questions, but looking around I can't find a specific answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to screw anything up. lol

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You don't have to touch the springs when removing your stock suspension. There's a nut on the top hat that keeps everything together. So it all comes out in 1 piece.

From my experience, aftermarket LCA's made the rear installation easier because I had a ton of rust from the past 12 NY winters (lots and lots of salt). I also bought new LCA bolts from Honda. Plus aftermarket LCA's have polyurethane bushings which are a huge improvement over stock and they also have multiple spots for sway bar end links.

Otherwise, have fun ;).

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the suggestion John! I'll look into the Blackworks ones... lol I can always count on you helping me out with my questions. I appreciate it

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
reduce your roll, get a lower rear control arm. i couldnt afford one, so i purchase a rear lower strut bar, like $25. you could also get a upper rear strut bar, goes insise the hood.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and what size are your wheels??? be careful if they are not so wide, they could dent your fenders, so you might have to roll your fenders up!!!!

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and what size are your wheels??? be careful if they are not so wide, they could dent your fenders, so you might have to roll your fenders up!!!!
I have 16s. I'll probably roll my fenders anyways. I don't think I will have any problems with 16's? I'm not going super low...

I know about the strut arms, I'll look into those as well. That's something that will be added probably a couple weeks after it's lowered though

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Most rear lower control arms that people get don't actually serve a purpose other than bling. I would get something a little nicer than Blackworks. All those cheaper companies use cheap material for their bushings.

Strut bars are useless. They should be the last bar you get if you decide to add bars. Get suspension first, then rear sway bar, then wheels with better tires, then strut bars. I would recommend a 3-point front and 4-point rear if you do get them. I swear I noticed a difference with a Benen 3-point front I had 2 years ago.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh ok, I gotcha John. what about blox? They looks very similiar. I'm sure I can't go wrong with OEM either.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
A box to ship the Function/Forms back in. Considering the one they send you will probably have shock oil inside.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A box to ship the Function/Forms back in. Considering the one they send you will probably have shock oil inside.
If I get cs-IIs won't I have to get a spring compressor to take off the top hats and assemble those to the progress coilovers?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not all lcas have urethane bushings, most done. function7, skunk2, and i cant think of any others that do. cheap lcas do not have urethane. you pay for what you get

the box of F&F i put on my friends car didnt have oil, they are a good company or not so many people would use them. Ek forever is one of the first people i have seen complain about them

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
F&F just seems so much easier to deal with than the progress. I've heard good things about both companies.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My friend has Type I's on his prelude and he loves them. He's had them on his car for...2 years? Going on 3? And he's been driving on them dumped as can be.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My friend has Type I's on his prelude and he loves them. He's had them on his car for...2 years? Going on 3? And he's been driving on them dumped as can be.
That settles it then. If I get the progress I'll have to rent a spring compressor to take off my top hats and put them on the cs-IIs. It's gonna take me more time to do that too. I'm just gonna go with the F&Fs.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i had f & f type 1's i loved them, and they got the piss knocked out of them daily on the interstate, no problems what so ever.

all you need is a smug look. cause your lower than the mexican next to you with the 13 foot wing

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
not all lcas have urethane bushings, most done. function7, skunk2, and i cant think of any others that do. cheap lcas do not have urethane. you pay for what you get

the box of F&F i put on my friends car didnt have oil, they are a good company or not so many people would use them. Ek forever is one of the first people i have seen complain about them
Maybe you should visit honda-tech a little more...

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?highlight=function+form+leaking&t=2580743

This one starts out he thinks his function/form sleeves are cracked, and several users chime in reporting that several Function/form units are leaking:

http://marketplace.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2541421

And OP: Having to rent a spring compressor (which is free) is not a good reason to go with a particular suspension setup. It's something that will (hopefully) be on your car for YEARS to come.

Not to mention you will need a spring compressor for the UN-INSTALLATION of your current springs/shocks and not the other way around. No one needs a spring compressor to install suspension.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I'm pretty confident in today's purchase. Ordered the Progress CS II's from CC for just over $520... I would say the extra buck was worth the piece of mind, but I payed less than you did for the f&fs... hope they work out though.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh ok, I didn't realize I could rent a spring compressor for free, but your right, I think autozone will let you..

So I WILL need to get a spring compressor anyways to take off my stocks shocks and springs?

I'll havereconsider the CS-IIs. I had seen all that on honda-tech about the F&Fs though. Most of them seem surprised that his were leaking, cause they hadnt experienced that problem.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh ok, I didn't realize I could rent a spring compressor for free, but your right, I think autozone will let you..

So I WILL need to get a spring compressor anyways to take off my stocks shocks and springs?

I'll havereconsider the CS-IIs. I had seen all that on honda-tech about the F&Fs though. Most of them seem surprised that his were leaking, cause they hadnt experienced that problem.
You do not need the spring compressor to remove your stock suspension from your car. Front suspension comes out easily with the removal of the 2 nuts at the top of the shock tower, the 1 fork pinch bolt, and the 1 lower control arm bolt. The rear is just the removal of the 2 top hat nuts and the lower control arm bolt (though you'll need to remove another lca bolt to give you space to pull the stock suspension out).

You need a spring compressor if/when you dissemble the suspension if you are re-using your stock top hats. If you're going with the F&F's, I believe they come with new top hats so you won't need to worry about that.