What is a typical labor charge for a stock-stock swap?

SW20FL

5+ Year Member
Hello,

I'm new to the forums. I know this would be better in a local forum, but I'm just wondering what typical shops would charge for a stock d16y7 swap. I am in Sacramento for any locals reading this.

Reason why I'm not putting any better engine in my car is because it's ONLY a daily driver/gas saver and nothing else. I don't even plan on putting any body mods, rims, or even an upgraded intake on it. I don't want it to be a target for Honda thieves, as if a simple stock Civic isn't already a big enough target.....I just sold a 360 whp MR2 turbo and I've done several engine swaps on that car. My usual time was about 8-10 hours from start to finish by myself (not the first time). I have done this before, and know what it takes, but my time is getting tighter and tighter with work and college coming up, and soon I simply will not have time do do this myself. That's why I got a stock gas saver civic and I am taking a break from the "modified' car scene and all the crazy stuff that comes along with it (tickets, broken stuff, broken bank, etc).

I got a stock 97 Civic DX (d16y7) 5 spd with working A/C for $2,500. It has 163k miles, and PASSES smog inspection. The price may be a bit high for the mileage, but those who live in California know how difficult it is to get a cheap gas saver that has cold A/C AND passes emissions inspection; now that regular is at $4.60 a gallon and premium is $5.00 at some stations.

Now onto the point:

Anyways, the car runs great aside from a few little things it needs. I plan on using it through college. I know Honda engines will last long if you take care of them, and don't race them, but I am nearing 200k miles. It would simply be wise to prepare for the worst. AKA having the best labor rate shops on tab. I do know that I WILL NOT have the time to do an engine swap by any means while I'm going to school/ working. I know these cars are easy to work on; much easier than an MR2. I found some low mileage JDM engines on Ebay for ~700, but I am unsure if they have the proper emissions equipment to pass the stringent California inspection (aka EGR). How much should I expect to pay to have another D16y7 engine installed in my Civic as far as labor? How many hours do most shops charge for labor? I'm assuming 8 hours, but I am just looking for some ballpark figures. Best and worst deals from your personal experiences will be very helpful as well.

Thanks,
David

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
find a CC member that's near you... should cost about 4 cases of beer

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where in cali? ;)

ryanM

i'll give you an idea

my dad blew up our civic

the dealership bought a motor for $500 from the junkyard (i even found the car it came out of)

my dad paid $3,000 for the swap.

SW20FL

5+ Year Member
^That's why I want to have some shops on tab who have reasonable labor rates just in case something happens. Dealerships are redardedly expensive.

I'm in Sacramento.

I'm looking for a shop who can do labor for around 1k, or less if there's any out there. Or a shop who can do the swap all for maybe $1,500 total with engine included. It's a stock for stock swap. I know it's not hard at all for someone who's done it before. I just won't have the time to do it with everything else going on right now, plus this is my daily driver.

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just bought my car recently. It has about 160k too :( I wouldn't worry 'bout it right now if I were u (u have 'bout 2-2.5 yrs left before it hits that mark).

Im planin to sell mind or trade it in whenever it hits 200k (i'll miss it). However, im pretty sure a civic motor can last longer than that (250-300k is probably its limit). It should last forever if ur takein a good care, changin oil + filter every 3-4 months.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i just bought my car recently. It has about 160k too :( I wouldn't worry 'bout it right now if I were u (u have 'bout 2-2.5 yrs left before it hits that mark).

Im planin to sell mind or trade it in whenever it hits 200k (i'll miss it). However, im pretty sure a civic motor can last longer than that (250-300k is probably its limit). It should last forever if ur takein a good care, changin oil + filter every 3-4 months.
i've seen z6s with over 350k with no problems at all

SW20FL

5+ Year Member

Glad to know I'm not alone =). I plan on using it as a simple beater car through college. I was thinking of selling or trading it when it has a ton of miles, but if it still runs, why not continue using it? As long as I immediately know where to have a swap done, I can rent a car for a week and have another engine put in in a day or two, and keep going. $1,000-$1,500 for another lower mileage engine installed isn't so bad when you consider a headgasket on a BMW is about $1,500 at a cheap shop and like $2,500 at a dealer (stupid dual vanos). The biggest problem would be if the engine goes out, and I don't know anybody to replace it so I am just avoiding that now by shopping now and keeping shops on tab. I'll be checking my oil often, changing it every 3k miles and babying the car. My commute would be 40 miles per day at the most from home to work and from work to college. Plus I drive from Sac to the bay at least once or twice a month, so I'm hoping I can get another 100k out of her. It only take $45 to fill up though! That's pretty cheap! Gas can go to $9/ gallon and It'll still be under $100 to fill. People with SUVs are paying more than that right now.

a shop asked me for 900 for a Y8 to a Y8 swap
That's not bad. Does that include the engine, or is it just labor?

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
my friend sucked up water in his 99 ex, and he got another clean y8, labor and all $1200 with a 1 year warranty at some import garage

SW20FL

5+ Year Member
my friend sucked up water in his 99 ex, and he got another clean y8, labor and all $1200 with a 1 year warranty at some import garage
That I can live with! And with a warranty? Do you happen to know the name of the shop that did the work, or at least where it is located?

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Give Ultracare a call. They're here in Stockton. I don't know what they'd charge for a swap, but their repair rates are reasonable and they usually have a quick turnaround, at least for the regular stuff I've had them do.