What is wrong with my car?? i need some help

sheparddddd

2004 civic, I turned the car on after a few days of not driving it...and it shook a bunch, then the rpm gauge just kept going and going. I recorded a short video of it so you can better understand my problem. How screwed am I? If you could give me a guesstimate of how much it would take to fix this or something too I would be very grateful because I dont want to get ripped off due to my lack of mechanic experience.

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w469/sheparddddd/?action=view&current=2012-07-26072654.mp4

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i don't now ive never seen that before maybe its your ECU and your in limp mode. have it scaned for codes if you cant scan for codes its probably the ECU otherwise i have no idea.

sheparddddd

Ok I ended up bringing to a mechanic today since I had the day off for work. He told me the Instrument Cluster was broken? and needed to be replaced. I was informed that I was not in danger of the car breaking down or anything. He quoted me "$836.57 from the Dealer " and "$380.00 from some other store that he knows". Either way I opted out of doing the repairs since both those figures are kinda steep, and my car has recently taken the back seat due to a purchase of a motorcycle :P I was curious what you guys think? ill have to do some of my own research but i wanted some opinions.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its hard to tell from the video but wasn't the engine running funny if so then that would have nothing to do with a broken cluster the cluster wouldn't effect the engine. also you can perform a gauge cluster diagnostic test there is a diy. you can buy a used cluster and just swap it out there fairly cheap.
1. Push and hold the trip/reset button.
2. Turn the lighting switch ON.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON. (don't start)
4. Within 5 seconds, turn the light switch OFF, then ON, then Off again.
5. Within 5 seconds, release the trip/reset button, then push and release 4 times more.

Takes a try or 2 to get it. The odometer has to be in mileage mode, NOT trip mode when you do this. All the needles will sweep back and forth once. To exit, turn off the ignition. Just push the trip button again to see the needles sweep again while in test mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUVxBk3qGo
search ebay the gauges go for less then 150 bucks then you can easily replace it yourself it just plugs in.