Whats Best For Snow?

ReGGaeKiinG

5+ Year Member
1st snowfall in boston 2day. & most places in the northeast/ new england area. Anyway, was snowing/raining hard so i pull over , start flippin through the manual to look for the best option for snow. |D3, 2, or 1| .. Picked out "2" . - Description in manual fit my situation buh im trying get some opinions. What do you guys think is best for snow. 1st winter wid the EG by the way..

- 93 Coupe Ex
- Automatic

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
put it in drive and go

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
lol @ this thread

put it in R for race
gtfo out of the thread if you have nothing good to say :what:

ITs a legitemate question and he provided good information..

OP, I would keep it in D2 if i were you, I think it could effect your gas mileage but not much at all.. Id rather be in a lower gear for more traction..

It would be easier if you had a standard so you could actually choose your gear.. but you'll be fine in D2.. and obviously if your starting to go up a hill put it into a lower gear..

94cxhatch18

lscxhatch
5+ Year Member
like somejaykid said put it in drive and go. It is irrelevant what gear it is in the traction will come with the way you press the gas. Putting it into second and driving around like that would be a horrible idea. Think of a five speed and putting it into second and never changing the gear.

If you drive slow enough in the conditions you should have no issue managing to get through the elements.

Sorry but a lower gear will cause you to go much faster much quicker which is not a good thing in snow and rain. If you are just trying to get through the snow go slow with the use of D2 if absolutely necessary.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Really if you live in the NE grab some snow tires and call it a day. Probably the best thing I've bought for my car, especially if you travel alot in the winter.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea... put it in D and go... youll be fine.... just pick up some steelies and put blizzak tires on.... you will be just fine... blizzaks are the best snow tire you can buy that is studless......if you get stuck with these... the snow better be DEEP.... or you better already be in the ditch

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I had all seasons last year and an automatic eg hatch. No problems at all when I always drove in D. If I ever got stuck, I would back up a couple inches, put it in D2 and go a little quicker.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yea... put it in D and go... youll be fine.... just pick up some steelies and put blizzak tires on.... you will be just fine... blizzaks are the best snow tire you can buy that is studless......if you get stuck with these... the snow better be DEEP.... or you better already be in the ditch
:word:

starting out in 2nd is unnecessary if you have any throttle control at all, but it wouldnt be bad. Do not cruise in d2. the snappier throttle response from staying in d2 will increase your risk of losing traction.

and blizzaks pwn

ReGGaeKiinG

5+ Year Member
ayee, thxs guys. this rlly helped. i actually alreadly started looking for winter tires. i seen some blizzaks on craigslist for bout 300 i think. & yeah, more wheel spin mite actually make me lose control. guess "D" it is den. & D2 only when rlly necessary. good lookin every1.

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go to discounttiredirect.com they have some snow tires for cheaper and have reviews on each tire too.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blizzaks are great. I ran them last winter and had no problems during our worst snow storms.

SMiLeFoRSuPRa

5+ Year Member
i was drivin around boston that day lol it was my first time driving in snow it was pretty boring having no traction but it wasnt that hard for me probably because i have a 5speed i just avoided slopes nd followed the main streets where they cleaned the streets...i was on all season tires but i realized it must really suk for rwd cars..

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
i live about an hour and half from boston out towards leominster and we got a good foot of snow and around here they suck with plowing and i went out with winterforce snow tires on my eg coupe (5 speed) and had no trouble at all with the snow so deff get a set of winter tires and youll love em just like a few others posted

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ forgot to tell you, tirerack.com is having a sale on blizzaks for $70 for each instead of $100.